Harford County land records show that by Jan. 10, 1775, a gristmill had been erected on Deer Creek by John and Samuel Forwood. The brothers, settlers from New Castle County, Del., had purchased 255 acres from Benjamin and Charity Colgate on June 11, 1752.
The mill, known over the years as Forwoods' Mill and Greenspring Mill, had five different owners. The structure burned down around 1900 and was rebuilt by John Smith.
Charles S. Walter purchased it in 1911 and it became known as Walter's Mill. Although the flow of water from the dam on Cabbage Run was low, the mill operated a "cob crusher," and produced corn meal and buckwheat flour. By 1967, an electric motor had been installed and the facility was being operated by Smith Walter.
Source: Our Harford Heritage by C. Milton Wright