THB, Banditos, Wayward and more confirmed for Cosmic Cocktail!


The Baltimore Sun

City police are reviewing a complaint of a beating

Baltimore police are reviewing a complaint that alleges city officers handcuffed and beat a man they had arrested on a trespassing charge, then detained two bystanders and seized a camera phone, a department spokesman said yesterday.

The spokesman, Sterling Clifford, disputed the allegation. He said the man who was arrested had resisted officers who detained him, and that the officers did not use excessive force. He said the man did not appear to be injured and refused medical treatment.

Police identified the man as Dondre Quickley, 31, of the 900 block of N. Collington Ave. He is being held in the Baltimore City Detention Center in lieu of $3,500 bond on charges of trespassing, resisting arrest and failure to obey the lawful orders of police.

The incident occurred about 6 p.m. Aug. 20 at the Douglass Homes apartments in East Baltimore. Clifford said officers patrolling the area because of drug and gun activity saw Quickley turn away from them.

Officers stopped him and tried to arrest him for trespassing because he did not live in the complex, Clifford said. He said Quickley resisted, and that six other officers rushed to help.

Residents who said they had seen Quickley being assaulted called reporters yesterday.

Antone Towson, 45, who lives across the street, said he was sprayed with pepper and arrested. He thinks officers heard him yell to his wife that police were "going crazy," he said.

James Watkins, 47, said he was arrested after officers saw him taking photographs with his cell phone camera.

Clifford said Towson cursed and approached an officer with clenched fists. He said officers ordered Watkins to leave the scene as the police tried to disperse a crowd, and that he refused. An officer grabbed Watkins' cell phone as he tried to pass it to someone after his arrest, Clifford said.

Watkins and Towson were released without being charged.

Gus G. Sentementes


Federal Hill

Boy, 15, who fell from truck, dies

A 15-year-old boy who fell to the pavement last week after latching onto a cement truck while riding his skateboard on a street in Federal Hill has died, police said.

The apparent accident occurred about 8:30 a.m. Thursday in the 400 block of Key Highway near Battery Avenue.

Authorities said Ellis Washington of the 6200 block of Birchwood Ave. in Northeast Baltimore was riding his skateboard and had grabbed onto the truck's side when he lost his balance.

He fell, and his legs were run over by the truck, police said.

He died Monday at Maryland Shock Trauma Center, a hospital spokeswoman said.

Inner Harbor

Man struck by SUV dies at hospital

A man who was struck by a sport utility vehicle while crossing an Inner Harbor intersection Tuesday night died yesterday at Maryland Shock Trauma Center, police said. His name was withheld pending notification of out-of-state relatives, said a traffic investigator.

Police said the man was walking across the intersection of East Lombard and South Calvert streets about 8:10 p.m. when he was struck by the SUV. Police, who said the vehicle stopped, are investigating.

Gus G. Sentementes

Howard County

: Savage

Woman's body is identified

Howard County police yesterday identified a woman whose body was found Tuesday in a wooded area off U.S. 1 in Savage as 45-year-old Debbie Ann Anderson of Baltimore.

A preliminary autopsy revealed no signs of foul play, police said. Anderson, of 5600 block of Remmell Ave. in Baltimore, had chosen to live in the woods with her boyfriend for a few weeks but was not homeless, her mother, Rosalie Davis, said yesterday.

Melissa Harris

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad