The Baltimore Sun

8-year term for shotgun shells

A 48-year-old man linked to several burglaries in Baltimore was sentenced yesterday to eight years in prison without parole for being a felon in possession of ammunition, according to federal prosecutors.

Daron Brown of Baltimore had three prior convictions in Baltimore Circuit Court for violent crimes and drug trafficking, the prosecutors said, allowing U.S. District Judge Andre M. Davis to enhance his prison sentence.

Prosecutors said Brown admitted in his guilty plea that he committed a string of burglaries, including one in June 2006 in which 16 firearms were taken from a house.

After his arrest in July 2006, Brown confessed to several burglaries, prosecutors said. Police searched his residence and found two Winchester Super Speed shotgun shells that Brown admitted taking in the June 2006 burglary.

Shooting victim identified

A teenager who was shot and killed Tuesday night in Northeast Baltimore was identified by police yesterday as Davon Qualls, 17.

Police said the teenager, whose address wasn't available, was shot several times in the head, neck and chest, and died at Johns Hopkins Hospital.

The shooting occurred about 9 p.m. in the 2500 block of Garrett Ave. Police said they know of no motive and had made no arrests.

Man shot by police is identified

A man shot and critically wounded by a Baltimore police officer Monday night has been identified as Oliver Brooks, 38, authorities said.

The man, who lives in the 1800 block of N. Durham St., remained in critical condition at Johns Hopkins Hospital, officials said.

Police said Officer Bandele Charles, a three-year veteran, was flagged down about 11 p.m. by a woman complaining of a domestic disturbance in the 1800 block of N. Wolfe St., near North Avenue.

A department spokesman, Sterling Clifford, said Charles confronted the man who resisted attempts to take him into custody. Clifford said that during the struggle, Charles felt he was in danger, drew his gun and shot Brooks in the upper body.

Police said Brooks had grabbed Charles' nightstick just before he was shot.

Brooks has a long list of arrests on minor charges and has two convictions, for assault and drug possession, according to court records.

In his latest case, he pleaded guilty on July 2 to drug charges and was sentenced to two years in jail, with all but one day suspended, court records show.

Man given life term in shooting of witness

A man convicted of shooting a witness to prevent him from testifying in a Baltimore murder trial was sentenced yesterday to life in prison, a ruling that the city's top prosecutor and a congressman hailed as a victory in a difficult fight to protect witnesses.

City Circuit Judge John C. Themelis also sentenced Myron Merrill Gladney, 21, to a 20-year concurrent term on a handgun conviction and a five-year consecutive sentence for threatening a witness in connection with the April 6, 2005, shooting of Stephen Arrington

"Today there is justice for a good citizen who served his community by performing his civic duty to testify as a witness in a murder trial," State's Attorney Patricia C. Jessamy said in a statement. "He was doing the right thing when he was tragically shot in an attempt to silence his testimony. Today's sentence triumphs an evil attempt to thwart justice."

Gladney was found guilty of attempted murder by a jury on July 17, the same day that Jessamy joined with Rep. Elijah E. Cummings, a Maryland Democrat, to strengthen witness-intimidation laws.

"Today Judge Themelis sent a strong message that we will not tolerate continued violence in our city, including witness intimidation," Cummings said in a statement. "We must continue to come together as a community, and at all levels of government, to address the crime epidemic that is plaguing Baltimore."

Police have said that Gladney approached Arrington at a bus stop in the 3400 block of The Alameda and told him not to go to court and testify against Gladney's brother, who was on trial on a murder charge.

Police said Gladney left but then returned with a gun and chased Arrington across the street and shot him in the back.

Arrington survived and eventually testified against Gladney's brother, Anthony Gladney, who was acquitted by a city jury on July 20, 2005. Arrington also testified in June and identified Myron Gladney as the man who had shot him, prosecutors said.

Assistant State's Attorney Lisa Phelps called the case "horrific and brazen." A statement from Jessamy's office quoted Phelps as saying in court: "Gladney became jury and judge. As jury, Gladney decided Arrington was guilty of snitching. As judge, Gladney decided he had to die."

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad