WHAT THEY'RE SAYING
TODAY'S SUN COLUMNISTS
A commuting columnist must reluctantly confess: Were it not for books on tape, there would be no books in her life at all.
A consumer protected
A homeowner who was bugged by the service she got from a pest-control company discovers that the Consumer Protection Division of the state Office of the Attorney General is available to all consumers to solve problems big and small.
Jean Marbella on Key Highway -- MARYLAND
Eileen Ambrose on cell phone contracts -- Business
5 THINGS TO DO TODAY
Counting Crows in Aberdeen -- The '90s rockers at Ripken Stadium, 873 Long Drive, Aberdeen. 6:30 p.m. showtime, with Live and the Low Stars also billed. $49.50. 410-547-SEAT or ticketmaster.com.
Julienne Irwin on 'Talent' -- See whether 14-year-old singer Julienne Irwin of Bel Air makes it to the final four on tonight's America's Got Talent. 8 p.m., WBAL, Channel 11.
Desegregation exhibit -- A Foot in the Door: Racial Desegregation in Post-World War II Baltimore examines the social justice movement of the 1940s. The exhibit runs through Oct. 2 at the Reginald F. Lewis Museum of Maryland African American History and Culture, 830 E. Pratt St. $6-$8. 443-263-1800.
'Cursed Blessings' at Imperato -- The exhibit Cursed Blessings brings together works by Tung Lo's mixed-media paintings and Cara Ober mixed-media drawings. Through Sept. 22 at Gallery Imperato, 921 E. Fort Ave., Suite 120. Free. 443-257-4166.
Dream Theater at Pier Six -- Long Island-based progressive metal band Dream Theater with Into Eternity and Redemption. 5:30 p.m. Pier Six Concert Pavilion, 731 Eastern Ave. $20-$45. 410-547-SEAT or ticketmaster.com.
Sun movie critic Michael Sragow reviews the week's new releases, including the raunchy comedy Superbad and the kiddie documentary Arctic Tale.
Friday in Movies Today
Out of fashion for years, the mustache seems to be making a comeback with hipsters in Baltimore and beyond.
Sunday in Arts & Life Today
5 THINGS TO LOOK FOR @BALTIMORESUN.COM
Top 10 Tuesdays
Restaurant critic Elizabeth Large reveals the 10 best restaurants she's visited this year. baltimoresun.com/diningatlarge
Mechanic Theatre hearing Architecture critic Edward Gunts reports on Baltimore's Commission for Historical and Architectural Preservation meeting, due to decide on the Mechanic Theatre's landmark status.baltimoresun.com/criticalmass
School loan announcement
City and school officials are set to hold a press conference this afternoon to announce a loan to the William Baer School.baltimoresun.com/maryland
Checking in with Terps
Reporter Heather A. Dinich files updates on the University of Maryland's football team as it works through summer practices in preparation for the season. baltimoresun.com/terpsblog
Howard energy initiative
The Howard County Commission on the Environment and Sustainability will meet this morning to discuss energy-saving efforts.baltimoresun.com/maryland
SUN BLOG BLOGS.BALTIMORESUN.COM
Pre-season Ravens -- Sheil Kapadia weighs in on the Ravens' preseason opener against the Eagles.baltimoresun.com/movingthechains.
Travels with Ace -- John Woestendiek hits the road for Montana, with faithful companion Ace by his side.baltimoresun.com/mutts
MOST VIEWED STORIES YESTERDAY AS OF 8 PM
1. McGahee looks for fan love -- New Ravens running back Willie McGahee was expected to be first out of the tunnel in Monday night's preseason game, and hoped to "feel the love" at M&T; Bank Stadium.
2. Right on point -- Often underestimated, former University of Maryland NCAA champion Steve Blake has arrived, with a $12 million contract with the NBA Portland Trail Blazers.
3. Overcast skies obscure meteor shower -- The view of Monday morning's Perseid shower was greatly diminished due to overcast skies.
4. Perseid shower to light up sky -- Named for the constellation Perseus from which these "shooting stars" seem to emerge, the Perseid meteor shower is always one of the most active and reliable of the year's annual meteor showers.
5. Home run rally boosts O's -- Kevin Millar's three-run homer in the 10th inning completed a 6-3 victory over the Boston Red Sox at Camden Yards on Sunday.