Glen Burnie was seeing an explosion of growth about 60 years ago, The Sun reported Aug, 13 1947. With 23,000 housing units under construction, the population was preparing to quadruple.
The largest development, Harundale, was 300 acres with 1,200 two- and three-bedroom houses. The influx of residents led to construction of a $1 million high school and more applications for water meters and sewer connections than the sanitary commission could keep up with.
Now a thriving suburb, Glen Burnie was once a small mining town founded by Elias Glenn, a district attorney, in 1812. Located near Harlem Park outside Baltimore City, the town was named "Glennsburne" by its founder. But the town went through several name changes before its current spelling designated by the postmaster Louis J. DeAlba in 1930. Other names included: Glennsbourne Farm, Glenburnie, Tracey's Station and Myrtle. Samuel Sewell Tracey was a local postmaster and "Myrtle" was the name of one of his boarders.
[ Source: Paul McCardell, Sun library researcher