On Aug. 11, 1896, opening services were held for the remodeled church of Ayres Chapel. Stories handed down indicate that services of this Methodist church were held in a tent near the present site for many years before 1870, when the first church, a frame building, was built. The deed for the land, which was donated by Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Ayres, describes the lot as being at the corner of Old Lancaster Road and the road leading to Dry Branch Fulling Factory.
It was decided to remodel and rebuild after the original building had been in use for about 25 years. The new building was heated by coal stoves and had kerosene lights. A church hall was built in 1916. C. Milton Wright mentions a remodeling that took place in 1946; no doubt other improvements have taken place since then.
The name is officially Ayres Chapel, though it is often called Dry Branch Methodist Church by local residents, because it is located near "Dry Branch," a stream that often dries up in summer.
Ayres Chapel United Methodist Church maintains the Ayres Chapel Cemetery in White Hall and maintains a Web site that has a listing of burials: www.interment.net/data/us/md/harford/ayers/drybranch.htm.
[Sources: Our Harford Heritage by C. Milton Wright. Research: Harford County Public Library.]