'Idol' Aiken caught up in airplane spat

Clay Aiken was involved in an airplane disturbance with another passenger Saturday while en route to Oklahoma's Tulsa International Airport, a newspaper reported.

The dispute on a Continental Airlines flight took place between Aiken, who was traveling Saturday morning to a performance at the Brady Theater, and a woman, the Tulsa World reported for yesterday's editions.


Concertgoers who attended the former American Idol singer's show said afterward that Aiken joked onstage about being beaten up by a girl earlier in the day.

FBI Special Agent Gary Johnson said there was a dispute between a male passenger and a woman on the flight but could not confirm the passenger was Aiken. He said the dispute was over the male passenger's foot resting on the woman's armrest. He said there was an allegation that the woman gave the male passenger a "minor shove" during the argument.


"At that point the flight crew was able to resolve the situation," Johnson said.

Purple all over

Prince thrilled his hometown fans with three shows over 12 hours, only stopping when police shut him down early yesterday.

The Minneapolis native first performed Saturday at a department store to promote his new cologne, cramming nine songs into a 45-minute set. He then played that night at the Target Center arena. He capped the night with a return to First Avenue, the club he made famous in the movie Purple Rain.

"Minneapolis, I am home," the Purple One declared after the first song at the department store.

After the Target Center, Prince waited until nearly 2:45 a.m. before starting the First Avenue show, the first time he had played at the club since 1987. The city lets music play until 4 a.m.

He was 15 songs and 70 minutes into a 24-song set when he announced from the stage: "The authorities say we gotta go. We always listen to the authorities. I promise I'll be back."

Katie speaks out


Katie Couric says the move to CBS would have been less appealing if she had known she'd be doing the more traditional CBS Evening News broadcast that she anchors now.

"People are very unforgiving and very resistant to change," Couric said in an interview with New York magazine. "The biggest mistake we made is we tried new things."

Couric's move to CBS has been a bust so far. The evening newscast's ratings are deep in third place, and CBS has rolled back some of the changes it made last fall to shake up the format.