Girl, 5, fatally injured in head-on collision
A Washington man driving without a license crashed head-on into another car, killing his 5-year-old granddaughter and injuring four people, including himself, state police said yesterday.
Police said they found alcohol and drug paraphernalia in the Ford Taurus driven Tuesday afternoon by Larry Freeman, 50.
He was supposed to be taking two grandchildren home to Temple Hills from summer camp but was headed in the wrong direction and was at least 10 miles off course, said Trooper K.T. Ringgold.
Freeman lost control of his car about 3:40 p.m. while traveling east on Central Avenue, just east of Queen Anne Bridge Road near the Anne Arundel County line, state police said. He crossed the center line, and his car collided with a 1997 Chevrolet Astro van driven by Jerry Ruleman, 44, of Edgewater.
The unidentified girl, who was asleep in the back seat in a booster seat, was taken to the Bowie Health Campus, where she died from her injuries. Her 10-year-old sister, who was in the front passenger seat, was flown by state police helicopter to Childrens National Medical Center in Washington with a broken arm and a collapsed lung, Ringgold said.
Ruleman was flown to Maryland Shock-Trauma Center in Baltimore with severely damaged ankles. An unidentified front-seat passenger was taken to Anne Arundel Medical Center for treatment of minor injuries.
Freeman was taken to Prince George's Hospital Center with two collapsed lungs, a broken arm and two broken legs and ribs. He was not wearing a seat belt, Ringgold said. "I don't know how he survived."
Freeman, he said, had not had a valid driver's license since 1984. Troopers are investigating the accident.
Charges filed against grandson
An Easton teenager has been charged with trying to smother his grandmother with a pillow.
Kevron Lamonte Chase, 18, was charged Monday with assault and endangerment after his grandmother, Viola Marie Chase, told police that her grandson said he would kill her and placed a pillow over her face while she was in bed early Monday.
According to the grandmother, the teen stopped after a few minutes and left the room, but then returned several hours later. Again he put a pillow on her face but then stopped, the woman told police.
"I fear that he may assault me again," Viola Chase said in charging papers.
The woman has also accused another grandson, Jaron Tyrell Chase, 24, with stealing $102 from her wallet this month.
Boy hurt in fireworks accident
A 9-year-old boy from Chester suffered second-degree burns on his legs after putting a lighted sparkler in his pants pocket, prompting fire officials to remind the public to use fireworks with care.
The boy, who was not named, was burned after the sparkler set his pants on fire. He was flown to the burn center at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Campus in Baltimore with second-degree burns on his legs, as well as minor burns on his hands.
Fire officials urged precaution with fireworks and sparklers on the July 4 holiday.
"The most important thing to realize is that fireworks can be dangerous to both adults and children," said Deputy State Fire Marshal W. Faron Taylor.
Dogs' sickness closes kennels
Several Humane Society kennels in this Eastern Shore county have been closed amid an outbreak of sickness among the dogs.
The outbreak started June 16 when a recently adopted eight-week-old puppy died. Other dogs were showing signs of respiratory illness.
Linda Lugo, executive director of the Humane Society in Wicomico County, said some dogs have been tested for distemper, a virus.
The kennels were expected to remain closed the rest of this week, the Daily Times of Salisbury reported.