Ex-doctor must forfeit cash, can't renew permit
A federal judge has ordered a former Catonsville doctor to be on probation for three years after he admitted he kept pills that were allegedly prescribed for his patients.
Albert Gerald Little, 61, will not be able to practice medicine again or try to regain his medical license, according to the sentence imposed by U.S. District Judge Catherine C. Blake on Tuesday. According to state records, Little's license to practice medicine was not renewed after it expired in 2005. He must also forfeit $574,426.61 in illegal profits, according to court papers.
The judge imposed a sentence lower than was called for under recommended federal guidelines because of Little's deteriorating health and extreme physical disabilities, according to prosecutors. Little had faced up to 10 years in prison on the fraud charges.
According to the agreement presented at his guilty plea in January, prosecutors said that Little, who had medical offices in Pikesville and Owings Mills, operated a scheme to defraud public and private health care benefit programs.
Little submitted claims for nonexistent or fraudulent health care services, according to prosecutors. Also, Little submitted improper claims for reimbursing the cost of prescription medications by saying the drugs were for fictitious patients, authorities said. Little obtained controlled drugs, including morphine, by keeping pills that were allegedly prescribed for actual patients as well as for nonexistent ones, according to the prosecutors' account in court papers.
Man charged in shooting
A man free on bail while awaiting trial on drug-dealing charges was arrested yesterday and charged with shooting at three people this month in Southeast Baltimore, police said.
Members of Baltimore's Warrant Apprehension Task Force arrested Eric Miller, 43, without incident at a home in the 2300 block of Eutaw St., city police said. He is charged with three counts of attempted murder and handgun violations in connection with an incident June 2.
Miller is accused of shooting at two women and a man in the 1500 block of May Court, in the Lafayette Homes housing project, police said. One woman suffered a graze wound, while the others escaped injury, police said.
On Dec. 14, Miller was arrested and charged with two counts each of drug possession and drug-dealing offenses. He was released from jail two days later after he posted $75,000 bail.
His trial on drug-related charges is scheduled for July 10, court records show. A trial date for Miller on the attempted murder charges has not been set.
Gus G. Sentementes
Slain man is identified
A man shot dead outside an Annapolis public housing community was identified yesterday as a 35-year-old city resident.
Marcus Antonio Wells of the first block of Carver St. was found about 11:15 p.m. Tuesday between two townhouse units on the 200 block of Croll Drive in the Annapolis Gardens neighborhood. Wells had been shot at least once in the neck.
He was taken by ambulance to Anne Arundel Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead at 12:14 a.m.
Wells' death marked the fourth homicide in Annapolis this year.
Officer Hal Dalton, an Annapolis police spokesman, said no witnesses have stepped forward. Police are asking anyone with information to call 410-268-4141.