The Baltimore Sun

Worked for Howard Hughes

Frank William Gay, a senior corporate officer for Howard Hughes and the recent target of a renewed claim on the billionaire's fortune, has died.

Mr. Gay, who lived in Humble, Texas, died Monday in a hospital in Kingwood, Texas, according to the Howard Hughes Medical Institute in Chevy Chase. The cause was not released.

He ran Hughes' holding company, Summa Corp., and was on the executive committee that ran his medical institute.

Mr. Gay also served as chairman of Hughes Air Corp., a holding company for Hughes Airwest Airlines, and was a senior vice president and board member for Hughes Tool Co.

Mr. Gay's death came as he was being sued by a Utah man who insists he rescued Mr. Hughes in the Nevada desert and was supposed to have been left $156 million in a handwritten will. A Las Vegas jury in 1978 rejected the will as fake, but Melvin Dummar continues to press his case in other courts.


Former ambassador

Philip M. Kaiser, a former ambassador to Austria, Hungary and Senegal who during the Cuban missile crisis acted to deny the Soviet Union landing rights at airports where its planes might refuel, died Thursday of aspiration pneumonia at Sibley Hospital in Washington, his family said.

Mr. Kaiser, an assistant secretary of labor during the Truman administration, was the U.S. ambassador to Senegal and Mauritania from 1961 to 1964.

During the Cuban missile crisis, he persuaded the Senegalese president to deny landing rights to Soviet airplanes.

Mr. Kaiser had earlier accompanied Senegal's president, Leopold Sedar Senghor, on a visit to the White House, where he had a warm meeting with President John F. Kennedy.

President Jimmy Carter named Mr. Kaiser ambassador to Hungary in 1977, and he played a key role in persuading the Carter administration to return the Crown of St. Stephen to Hungary in 1978. It had been in U.S. hands since 1945.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad