F. Hooper Bond

The Baltimore Sun

F. Hooper Bond, a former law firm partner and Talbot County school board member, died Tuesday of complications from pneumonia at Memorial Hospital in Easton. He was 78.

Born and raised in Baltimore's Mount Washington neighborhood, Mr. Bond graduated at 16 from St. Paul's School in 1944. He then enrolled at the Johns Hopkins University.

In 1946, Mr. Bond enlisted in the Army. He was based at Fort A.P. Hill in Virginia, according to his family.

After a brief stint in the Army, Mr. Bond returned to Hopkins to finish his studies and joined the campus ROTC program. He completed coursework for a degree in economics in 1952 at Hopkins, where he was a member of Alpha Delta Phi, a national fraternity founded in New York in 1832 as a literary society.

Mr. Bond was called back to military service in 1952 and was awarded the Bronze Star for valor, a Purple Heart and a Combat Infantry Badge for his service during the Korean War, according to his family. He was honorably discharged in 1953 as a lieutenant.

He was a member of the Society of the Sons of the Revolution.

Mr. Bond returned to Baltimore and worked as a deputy U.S. marshal while studying at the University of Baltimore School of Law. He earned his law degree in the late 1950s. He later co-authored the syllabus for the contract class, which he taught at the law school.

In 1956, he married the former Rosalie "Molly" Tunis. They raised three children in Baltimore before moving to Claiborne in Talbot County in 1975.

Mr. Bond was a partner for 20 years at the law firm that is now known as Niles, Barton & Wilmer in Baltimore.

George Radcliffe, a former trial attorney who also was a partner at the firm, recalled Mr. Bond for his methodical legal prowess.

"The first time I met him was in the Baltimore City courthouse, back when he was a law clerk, and he seemed very alert," said Mr. Radcliffe, who was a trial attorney at the time. "He later applied for a position at Niles, and he was an excellent lawyer. He was very thorough, and he just was remarkably able to put things into context."

The two lawyers eventually opened the firm's Cambridge office.

"He was a very loyal person," said Mr. Radcliffe, 87, who practiced law until about two years ago. "He was an excellent family man, was very close to his children and his wife."

In 1980, Mr. Bond launched a private practice in Easton, where he specialized in estates, trusts and general business contracts. There, he became engrossed in a project to preserve the law library at the Talbot County Courthouse.

For more than four decades, Mr. Bond served as general counsel for Independent Can Co. He also served as legal co-counsel for Johns Hopkins University.

Mr. Bond had a passion for education, his wife said. He served from 1970 to 1974 on the board of the Friends School of Baltimore and was appointed in the late 1980s to the Talbot County school board.

As a school board member, Mr. Bond fought to save St. Michaels Elementary and Middle/High School, Mrs. Bond said. The school continues to serve the area's children.

A skilled craftsman, Mr. Bond was intrigued by buildings and construction. He was known for detailed workmanship in everything he built, including the family's home in Claiborne.

"He liked the challenge of engineering things, he liked design and he liked woodwork," said Mrs. Bond. "Although he was a double amputee, he continued to do some complicated cabinet work around the house."

She said her husband's legs were amputated in 1996 after complications from surgery.

Mr. Bond was a lifetime trustee of the Spocott Windmill Foundation. The Spocott Windmill, built in 1972 on Route 343 in Dorchester, was a reproduction of a Dutch windmill that was destroyed in a blizzard in 1888, according to the foundation's Web site.

Mr. Bond was a member of the Third Haven Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends, commonly known as Quakers.

A memorial service is planned for 2 p.m. Saturday at the Third Haven Friends Meetinghouse, 405 S. Washington St., Easton.

In addition to his wife, Mr. Bond is survived by a daughter, Priscilla Bond Morris Sener of Easton; two sons, Owen Upshur Bond of Claiborne and Alexander Magruder Bond of Easton; and three grandchildren.


Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad