The Miami Dolphins, who reportedly are days away from releasing quarterback Daunte Culpepper, selected Ohio State wide receiver Ted Ginn Jr. instead of Notre Dame quarterback Brady Quinn with the ninth overall pick. Ginn is blessed with impressive speed, but draft experts had questioned his strength and focus. And who's going to throw the ball to Ginn? Cleo Lemon?
Offensive tackle Levi Brown of Penn State was the second-rated lineman behind Joe Thomas of Wisconsin, but nobody expected him to go as high as No. 5 to the Arizona Cardinals. New coach Ken Whisenhunt, who was the offensive coordinator with the Pittsburgh Steelers, and assistant head coach Russ Grimm, who was the Steelers' offensive line coach, will have to prove that the Cardinals made the right choice.
If Quinn wasn't taken in the top three, many mock drafts had him falling no farther than No. 9 to the Dolphins. But concerns about Quinn's losses in three significant games last season caused the quarterback to slide down to the Cleveland Browns, who swapped picks with the Dallas Cowboys for the 22nd overall choice.
Top 10 picks
1. Raiders: JaMarcus Russell, QB, LSU
2. Lions: Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech
3. Browns: Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin
4. Buccaneers: Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson
5. Cardinals: Levi Brown, OT, Penn State
6. Redskins: LaRon Landry, FS, LSU
7. Vikings: Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma
8. Falcons: Jamaal Anderson, DE, Arkansas
9. Dolphins: Ted Ginn Jr., WR, Ohio State
10. Texans: Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville
On TV today
Rounds 4 through 7: ESPN, 11 a.m.-6 p.m.
Locals: The Seahawks select Maryland cornerback Josh Wilson in Round 2. PG 6D
Redskins: Safety LaRon Landry makes up for last year's free-agent bust, Adam Archuleta. PG 7D
Analysis: Ken Murray breaks down the first round. PG 8D