Capital Gazette wins special Pulitzer Prize citation for coverage of newsroom shooting that killed five

Pakistan blast kills at least 26

The Baltimore Sun

PESHAWAR, Pakistan -- A suicide bomber believed to have been targeting Pakistan's interior minister set off a powerful explosion yesterday that killed at least 26 people and injured dozens of others including the minister, Pakistani authorities said.

The blast, at a political gathering in Pakistan's restive North-West Frontier province, represented what authorities said appeared to be a renewed challenge by Islamic insurgents to the government of President Pervez Musharraf.

Interior Minister Aftab Khan Sherpao, who suffered relatively minor injuries in the attack, is the senior civilian official in charge of the country's security affairs and a highly symbolic target.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility, but suspicion fell on Islamic militants who have established a strong presence in the Pakistan's tribal areas bordering Afghanistan.

The explosion took place in the town of Charsadda, about 18 miles northeast of the provincial capital of Peshawar, where Sherpao had addressed an open-air rally of supporters. State-run television showed Sherpao after the blast, clad in a crimson-splattered traditional white tunic with blood running down his face.

A Foreign Ministry spokeswoman, Tasnim Aslam, described the minister's injuries as minor and said Sherpao was alert and had conferred by telephone with other government officials.

Various insurgent organizations have found shelter in Pakistan's wild borderlands, and all of them oppose Musharraf's alliance with the United States since the Sept. 11 attacks.

Those groups include homegrown Pakistani militants, Taliban-allied forces who slip back and forth across the Afghan-Pakistan border, and al-Qaida elements who have regrouped and rearmed in the tribal areas, according to U.S. intelligence officials.

Musharraf, on a visit to Bosnia, issued a statement saying, "Acts of terrorism will not weaken Pakistan's resolve to fight terrorism."

Security officials said guards foiled the attacker's efforts to move close to Sherpao. Once the bomber realized he had aroused suspicions, they said, he set off his explosives.

Witnesses described a chaotic aftermath of injured people crying for help amid body parts and debris. Fiaz Tooru, a police inspector general, said investigators had recovered the bomber's remains, and were trying to identify him.

Hospital officials said the death toll could rise because the wounded included a number of people who were critically hurt.

Zulfiqar Ali and Laura King write for the Los Angeles Times.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad