Capital Gazette wins special Pulitzer Prize citation for coverage of newsroom shooting that killed five


The Baltimore Sun

Serial rapist sentenced to life

A 35-year-old man was sentenced yesterday to life in prison for a series of sexual assaults committed in Baltimore over a three-week span in December 2005, city prosecutors said.

Reginald M. Williams was arrested two days before Christmas 2005 and charged in the attacks and robberies, which occurred between Dec. 3 and Dec. 22. At the time, the registered sex offender was living in the 600 block of N. Carrollton Ave. in West Baltimore, and police said the attacks occurred near his home.

In October 2006, Williams pleaded guilty to three counts of first-degree sex offense, one count of third-degree sex offense, one count of rape and three counts of second-degree assault.

Yesterday, Circuit Judge Allen L. Schwait sentenced Williams to five concurrent life terms, three concurrent 30-year terms and three concurrent 10-year terms. Although Williams is looking at a long time behind bars, he could eventually be eligible for parole, said Joe Sviatko, a spokesman for the city state's attorney's office.

Police said they considered Williams a suspect because he was registered sex offender and lived near where the women were being assaulted. Police went to his home Dec. 22, but he was not home. Within the next five hours, two more women reported being sexually assaulted.

Later that day, an officer spotted him and chased him into an alley. Police said Williams pulled a gun and an officer shot him in the leg. At the time, police labeled him a serial rapist and said that he demanded of his victims, "What are you going to tell the police?"

Charged in Annapolis killing

Twelve days after his release from jail, a Charles County man has been charged with fatally shooting a man outside a public housing community in Annapolis, city police said yesterday.

Carlos Martinez Rice, 20, of Bryans Road was arrested late Monday after police responded to a report of shots being fired on Madison Street in the Harbour House community - the same place where Aaron Brown, 44, of Tyler Avenue in Annapolis was killed Sunday night.

Officers followed a green van leaving the scene, then chased a man and woman who jumped out on Adams Street and fled on foot.

The female driver, Kimberly Crystal Simms, 23, of Hicks Avenue in Annapolis, was immediately captured and charged with drug possession with intent to distribute.

Officers arrested Rice about 20 minutes later. After being identified by witnesses as the gunman in Brown's shooting, Rice was charged with second-degree murder, first- and second-degree assault, and drug and handgun offenses, according to police. He is being held at the Jennifer Road detention center on $5 million bond.

Rice, who previously lived on Madison Court in Annapolis, was released from county jail April 4 after a District Court judge sentenced him to probation before judgment on a second-degree assault charge.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad