Early bird tickets for Baltimore’s BEST party on sale now!

Bryn Mawr rallies past St. Paul's

The Baltimore Sun

Bryn Mawr's Allie Emala had one job yesterday with 36 seconds left and her team tied with No. 9 St. Paul's - win the draw.

The senior midfielder did that and went one better, scoring a goal with 1.6 seconds left to cap a four-goal rally that gave the No. 6 Mawrtians an 8-7 victory in an Interscholastic Athletic Association of Maryland A Conference game.

The host Mawrtians (8-0, 5-0 conference) almost took too much time before attacking the goal, but when the Gators' defense collapsed on Annie Thomas, she fed Emala in the middle of the arc for a low shot that slipped by goalie Isabel Harvey.

"I saw [Thomas] with like 400 people on her it seemed like," Emala said, "and I felt like my girl completely lost sight of me, so I sort of tried to curl around her and that just happened to be the completely right spot."

Midway through the second half, it appeared defending A Conference champ St. Paul's (3-5, 2-5) was ready to take control. Ellen Cook scored one of her four goals on a weave through the defense with 11:21 left to put the Gators up 7-4. That would be the biggest lead of the game.

Kelsey MacDonald and Jordy Kirr scored Mawrtians goals to cut the lead to 7-6 with 6:02 left.

"We talk a lot about positive energy," said Kirr, who finished with two goals and two assists. "We clearly did some things wrong in this game when we got down, but we kept encouraging each other so that we all have the confidence, because confidence wins games."

The Mawrtians won the next draw, but turned it over with about five minutes left. The Gators stalled for nearly four minutes before Cook saw an opening and took the shot, but her goal was called back for a crease violation. Mawrtians goalie Kate Janian got the ball and the Mawrtians raced downfield off her clear.

Sarah Matz took a shot that clipped off the top of Harvey's stick to the left side of the arc. Kirr snatched the ball out of the air and quickly fed Sarah Cole for the tying goal with 36.6 seconds left.

"We just didn't play smart with the ball at the end of the game," St. Paul's coach Mitch Whiteley said. "That's kind of the way our season's been going. I wouldn't say we give it away, but we haven't been doing anything smart for ourselves at the end to finish things off."


Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad