City Council moves to fix Colts Hall of Fame exhibit
Working to settle an old score, the Baltimore City Council approved a nonbinding resolution yesterday calling on the Pro Football Hall of Fame to separate the history of the Baltimore Colts from the Indianapolis Colts -- a linking that has angered fans for years.
The resolution, which was sponsored by City Council Vice President Robert W. Curran and approved unanimously, asks that officials at the Canton, Ohio, museum "separate the Colts' storied Baltimore history from the current Indianapolis franchise to more accurately reflect the team's legacy."
Fans have been especially angered by an exhibit at the museum that some say they believe portrays several famous Colts as playing for Indianapolis when, in fact, they played in Baltimore. The Colts abruptly left Baltimore for Indianapolis in 1984.
"We need to distinguish the Colts heritage from Indianapolis," Curran said.
Earlier this month, football hall of fame officials told The Sun that the museum already has plans to change the particular exhibit. The display is expected to be overhauled next year, officials said.
Scam warning issued after Canton robbery
Baltimore city officials warned residents yesterday to be wary of people representing themselves as public works officials after a Canton resident was robbed over the weekend by a pair of men who claimed to work for the Department of Public Works. The two men came to the house of Raymond Hand of the 600 block of S. Belnord Ave., and said they needed to inspect the water meter. Hand said the two took about $200. DPW officials said city work crews will never arrive at a home unless the homeowner requests help. "It's been going on for years. It seems like it's seasonal," DPW spokesman Kurt L. Kocher said of the scam. "Somebody, unfortunately, always seems to find themselves in a bad position."
Man get 25 years in shooting death
A Baltimore man who pleaded guilty this month to second-degree murder and use of a handgun in the commission of a crime of violence was sentenced yesterday to 25 years in prison.
Larry McMillian, 22, admitted that he shot to death Shawn Ruffin, 33, after a neighborhood dispute May 25 last year in an alley behind the 2000 block of Woodbourne Ave. in Northeast Baltimore.
Baltimore Circuit Judge Lynn K. Stewart sentenced McMillian, of the 6600 block of Knottwood Court in Northeast Baltimore, to 50 years in prison, with all but 25 years suspended.
The first five years are to be served without the possibility of parole.