The cornerstone for the Annapolis State House was laid in March 1772 by the governor of the colony, Robert Eden. It was a propitious period in the thriving seaport, poised on the edge of revolution. Yet the trans-Atlantic slave trade was a regular presence, too, with human cargo disembarking from the docks a short walk from the State House site.
The project was unfinished in 1783 when Annapolis was briefly the national capital and Congress met here, under a leaky roof. The handsome dome that we see today was not done until 1788.
Lore has it that some original wooden pegs reinforced by iron straps remain in place.
[Source: Maryland State Archives staff]