City homicide count rises to 9

Baltimore police released yesterday the names of three men killed in apparently unrelated slayings in recent days, but added two more killings last night to a growing city homicide toll in the new year. Detectives also were investigating another man's death as a homicide after he was found last week in woods in North Baltimore, reportedly bound with duct tape.

The steady pace of violence that closed out last year with 275 homicides in Baltimore -- six more than in 2005 -- shows no sign of abating in 2007. So far, nine people have been killed in Baltimore -- seven by gunfire.


Six have been killed in separate incidents since early Friday, when police in the Southern District found a 61-year-old with severe head trauma lying unresponsive on a living room floor in the 500 block of Maude Ave. Police identified him as Edward L. Canupp of Pasadena, and detectives believe that he was killed during a dispute with a tenant.

Police arrested and charged Adrian Brown, 37, with first-degree murder in the attack.


In a Saturday shooting in the 300 block of W. North Ave., police identified a man killed by gunfire in his car as Ray William Alston, 27, of the 500 block of Preston St. A police spokeswoman said that detectives were investigating the possibility that the man died after a confrontation with passengers in another car in the area.

Officers found the cars -- a Honda Accord and a Hyundai Sonata -- damaged in the street, with Alston in the driver's seat of the Honda and a gun next to him on the passenger's seat, police said. Two men -- who apparently were riding in the two different vehicles -- later showed up at the University of Maryland Medical Center's emergency room to be treated for gunshot wounds, police said.

Police had not made any arrests in Alston's killing.

Police said they were withholding the identity of a 46-year-old man shot about 6:40 p.m. Saturday in the 5200 block of Ready Ave. in North Baltimore because relatives had not been notified.

In a fatal shooting early Sunday, police identified a man shot in the 1800 block of N. Montford Ave. as Yule Antonio Henderson, 21, of the 2400 block of E. Lafayette Ave. He was the second person fatally shot on that block in less than six months.

Over the weekend, the Police Department classified the Jan. 3 death of a 21-year-old man as a homicide, after an autopsy determined that he died of asphyxiation. Thomas Joseph MacKenney of the 1200 block of N. Curley St. was found dead in woods in the 5900 block of Northwood Drive near Chinquapin Run in North Baltimore. City police detectives stumbled across his body while chasing a car thief.

A law enforcement source with knowledge of the case -- who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of an investigation still in its early stages -- said officers found MacKenney's mouth and nose covered with duct tape.

Police said last night's victims were a 16-year-old boy shot in a wrist and the head shortly before 7 p.m. in the 5100 block of Harford Road in a confrontation with two other males, and a man shot in the chest at an unknown location and dropped off at the Johns Hopkins Hospital emergency room about 7 p.m. by an unidentified person who then drove away. He died at Hopkins, and the boy at the Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, police said.


The nine homicides recorded in the city since Jan. 1 are three more than during the comparable period last year.