Let's talk about travel.
It's expensive, frustrating, complicated, time-consuming and, recently, terrifying. So why do we do it?
As much of a pain as it is, travel can also be exciting, adventurous and sometimes soothing.
It can transport us miles away from our worries. It can change our perspective and even our lives.
What role does travel play in your life? Are you a frequent flier or a cruise fan? Do you prefer to ski or scout for antiques? For our first Travel reader survey, we want to know about your travel habits.
Please take a few minutes to mark your answers, clip them out and mail them to:
Travel Survey, c / o Michelle Deal-Zimmerman, The Sun, 501 N. Calvert St., Baltimore 21278. Or you can take the survey online at baltimoresun.com/travelsurvey.
The deadline for responding is Feb. 7. Look for the results in a coming Travel section.
1. Did you or your family travel on vacation last summer?
2. If yes, where did you go on your main summer vacation?
a. A major U.S. city
g. Latin America
i. Local beach (Ocean City, etc.)
j. Theme park (Walt Disney World, SeaWorld, etc.)
k. National park (Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, etc)
3. How much time do you normally take for a vacation trip?
a. Two weeks or more
b. One to two weeks
c. Less than one week
4. Are you planning to take a vacation trip in the next 12 months? a. Yes
5. What best describes your favorite kind of vacation? a. Quiet / romantic
b. Adventure / sport
c. Cruising / sailing
e. Group tours
f. Outdoors / camping
g. Educational / learning
h. Spa / resort
6. Including transportation, about how much did you spend on your last vacation?
a. $5,000 or more
e. Less than $1,000
7. When you go on vacation, where do you normally stay?
a. Major or chain hotel
b. Small or boutique hotel
d. Rental villa or apartment
f. With family or friends
8. Do you have a valid passport?
9. When planning a vacation, how do you book most of your travel?
a. Use a travel agent
c. Call hotel or airline directly
10. What parts of your travel do you usually book on the Internet? (Choose all that apply)
a. Airline tickets
b. Hotel reservations
c. Car rental
d. Tour packages
f. Do not book online
11. Since the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, how would you describe your travel habits?
a. I travel more frequently than I did before Sept. 11.
b. I travel less frequently than I did before Sept. 11.
c. I travel about the same as I did before Sept. 11.
12. How safe do you believe air travel is in the United States today?
a. Very safe
b. Somewhat safe
c. Not too safe
d. Not at all safe
e. Don't know
ABOUT YOU 1. How old are you?
a. Younger than 18
b. 18 to 34
c. 35 to 49
d. 50 to 64
e. 65 or older
2. What is your gender?
3. Do you have children younger than 18 living with you?
4. What is your marital status?
a. Married or living with partner
b. Single, never married
c. Divorced or separated
5. What is your ZIP code?
If you are willing to talk with a reporter about this survey, please include your name, phone number and e-mail address.