Backup Enders rallies Old Mill on 2 late drives

The Baltimore Sun

No. 13 Old Mill scored 15 points in the final 3:20 to stun host No. 5 Arundel, 18-12, in Gambrills last night in the Class 4A East regional semifinals.

Patriots sophomore quarterback Grant Enders was the unlikely hero down the stretch. He rallied the visitors after senior quarterback Kelian Stevens left the game with an injury with about four minutes to play.

Enders directed two scoring drives, throwing a 40-yard touchdown pass to Alphonse Coats, then completing two more passes to set up the game-winning 11-yard touchdown run by senior Malcolm Green with 1:14 left. Green also ran for a two-point conversion to make it 18-12.

Brandon Johnson-Farrell took the ensuing kickoff 56 yards, and a face-mask penalty on the return put the ball at the Old Mill 34. But, sophomore Marvin Pinkney intercepted Arundel quarterback Nick Elko on the second play to seal the win.

"I feel happy that my line and my offense had faith in me," Enders said.

"I was disappointed to see Kelian get hurt because we are real close. I would never like to see a friend hurt. I felt bad for him. I was nervous at first, but my linemen and receivers reassured me. They believed in me. It was like a storybook ending."

Old Mill (9-2) will play for the regional title at 6:30 Friday, at No. 7 and top-seeded Broadneck (10-1). The Bruins routed South River, 36-13.

Arundel, a 42-20 winner over Old Mill in its season opener, lost in the first game of the playoffs for the fourth straight year, including the last three times to Old Mill. Arundel finished 9-2.

Stevens came into the game with nearly 800 yards rushing and more than 1,300 passing. But he took a beating from the hard-hitting Arundel defense and had to come out with just over four minutes remaining in the game and his team down, 12-3.

"I thought it was over but didn't give up," Pinkney said. "We all had faith in Grant and my team, the defense, and we stayed in it."

It looked like a pair of field goals by Colin Blugis - who finished with 12 on the season to tie the state record set by Urbana's Josh Brown in 1999 - and a 1-yard touchdown plunge by Anthony Gunn would bring the Wildcats the victory. Blugis' second three-pointer came with 4:44 remaining and gave Arundel a 12-3 lead.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad