Don’t miss Orioles players, John Means & Paul Fry, as they guest host at our Brews and O’s event!


The Baltimore Sun

Malvo transferred back to Va. prison

ROCKVILLE -- Convicted Washington-area sniper Lee Boyd Malvo has been moved from a Maryland prison back to Virginia after his trial for six 2002 sniper killings, officials said yesterday.

Lt. Gregory Henderson of the Montgomery County Sheriff's Department said Malvo has been transferred to Virginia. He would not say when or how the transfer occurred, saying further details would be released today.

Malvo, 21, was sent to Maryland from a Virginia prison in May last year to stand trial in the sniper shootings in Montgomery County. He eventually pleaded guilty and was given six life terms by a judge last week.

Malvo had been at the Montgomery County Correctional Facility during his trial and that of his accomplice John Allen Muhammad. Muhammad, who was convicted in Montgomery County in May of the same six Maryland killings, returned in June to Virginia's death row.



Court goes against 3 landowners

The state's highest court ruled yesterday against three Worcester County landowners who wanted sewage service so they could develop their land in west Ocean City.

The Court of Appeals unanimously sided with the Maryland Department of the Environment, which denied sewer service and wetland-fill applications on four lots in the Cape Island of Wight subdivision. The landowners argued that denial of the permits amounted to an unconstitutional taking by the government.

The court noted that the land was considered undevelopable as early as the 1970s, and the fact that it remained undevelopable was not reason to rule against the state. The landowners "do not have any constitutional right to sewer service," the court wrote.



Man ruled competent for trial

A federal judge has ruled that a North East man accused of tampering with infant formula and returning it to a Wal-Mart in January is competent to stand trial.

U.S. District Court Judge Andre M. Davis based his decision on a psychiatrist's evaluation of Bobby Wayne Rhoades, 27, who remains in custody without bail. Rhoades is charged with commercial-product tampering resulting in serious bodily injury. If convicted, he could receive up to 20 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

Police charge that he bought a can of powdered infant formula at a Wal-Mart in North East, then put flour and salt in it and returned the container for a $22.78 refund. The can was later resold and a baby sickened by the formula. The baby's mother noticed a hole in the side of the can and alerted authorities.



Officials delay rezoning plan

Town officials have delayed a plan to rezone most properties on the fringe of downtown from business to residential.

The town commission will wait until a June growth plan is completed before the rezoning, which was considered because most downtown-area properties are used for residential purposes although they are zoned commercial.

Some favor the rezoning because they fear many of the town's oldest buildings could be replaced by new commercial development.

"It's time to protect the historic district," said Town Manager Jay Parker.


Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad