Duke tips UM in ACC semis

BOYDS — BOYDS -- Maryland can begin preparations for its defense of the NCAA men's soccer championship.

Duke beat the fifth-ranked Terps, 1-0, in the semifinals of the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament last night. A header by Joe Germanese in the 40th minute was enough to beat a Maryland team that failed to put a shot on goal.


The Blue Devils will meet top-ranked Wake Forest here in tomorrow's championship game at 1:10 p.m.

Maryland (15-4-1) figures to get a first-round bye in the draw for the 48-team NCAA tournament, which will be announced Monday afternoon.


"You saw a Maryland team that is not as deep as last year," said Terps coach Sasho Cirovski, who is down to three holdover starters from last year's NCAA title team. "We'll be fine. We're going to be a very good team come tournament time. You'll see us bounce back."

No. 9 Duke (15-3-1) had the best of it in the first half, even before Germanese's goal, the result of a lack of pressure in the Maryland back.

Spencer Wadsworth, a junior from Dallas, beat a defender in the right corner and had considerable time and space to send a cross to the far post. Germanese, a junior from St. Louis, went up unchallenged and headed his fourth goal of the season past goalie Chris Seitz, the ACC Defensive Player of the Year.

Maryland's best chance at the equalizer came with 16 minutes remaining, when Jeremy Hall's left-footed shot from 12 yards skipped outside the right post.

Five minutes later, Cirovski made 6-foot-5 freshman back Omar Gonzales a target man up top. He had some productive touches off his head, but none crisp enough to produce a shot that required a save by Duke goalie Justin Papadakis.

Duke beat Maryland in the ACC semifinals a second straight year. The Terps took their regular-season meeting in College Park, 1-0.

"This is a very even league," Cirovski said. "It's tough to beat someone twice."

The loss ended a five-game winning streak for the Terps.


Duke's aggressiveness led to five yellow cards.

In the first semifinal, Sam Cronin scored in the 90th minute for Wake Forest, which then vanquished Virginia on penalty kicks, 4-3. It was the Demon Deacons' second straight shootout victory here, as they held off N.C. State in the quarterfinals.

The top seed has prevailed in every match but the 8-9 play-in at the Maryland SoccerPlex, where 7,119 attended last night's doubleheader. Duke and Wake Forest shared first place in the regular season, when the Blue Devils beat the Demon Deacons.

Maryland's only previous titles in the 20-year history of the tournament came in 1996 and 2002, the season the Terps began their four-year run at the College Cup which culminated in the 2005 NCAA title.

Maryland 0 0 -- 0


Duke 1 0 -- 1

Goal: D--Germanese. Assist: D--Wadsworth. Saves: M--Seitz 4; D--Papadakis 0.