Annapolis ends run for Severna Park

Annapolis stunned No. 10 Severna Park, 27-21, in double overtime last night in the renewal of Anne Arundel County's oldest football rivalry. The win by the host Panthers at Al Laramore Field in the Cap City ended the Falcons' 17-game winning streak against county opponents dating to 2004.

In what was the 48th game in the 47th year of the rivalry, Annapolis (3-4) won in overtime for the second time in three years to lift their series lead to 24-21-3. The Panthers beat Severna Park, 13-7, in triple overtime in 2004.


Tony Henson caught a 7-yard touchdown pass from Majestic Gough on Annapolis' second play of the second overtime. After John Greenfield's extra-point kick was blocked by Sean Price, the Panthers held the Falcons on fourth-and-goal from the 9 on an incomplete pass to end it.

"In all honesty, I could care less about that streak," Severna Park coach J.P. Hines said. "What's more important is postseason. We came back, but we lost. Now we have to regroup and make the postseason. It was one heckuva football game."


Annapolis got an interception by Greg Raszewski on second down in the first overtime to stop the Falcons (6-1). Then Severna Park held at the 1-yard line on fourth down to send it to another session.

"We haven't won in three weeks. It felt real good, and that's a good team that we beat," Henson said.

The Falcons had scored twice in the final period to tie the score at 21 in regulation. Quarterback Pat Morrison tossed a 5-yard touchdown pass to Garret Hall and Tommy Bryant returned a blocked punt by Pat Mercer 14 yards for the tying score with 6:59 remaining.

A failed kick after Hall's score forced Severna Park to go for two after Bryant's touchdown. Brendan Noone caught the conversion pass from Morrison to tie it up.

After losing All-County wide-receiver/defensive back Chris Hunt to a pulled hamstring two minutes into the second quarter, the Falcons found themselves trailing 21-7 at the half. Annapolis had scored on a 12-yard touchdown run by Raszewski and two short runs by Traval Adams.

No. 4 Gilman 36, Cumberland Valley (Pa.) 35, OT -- John Pagliaro rushed 27 times for 192 yards, including two touchdowns and the game-winning two-point conversion, as the Greyhounds (4-2) beat the host Eagles (4-4) in overtime. Gilman gained 369 yards on the ground.

No.13 Hereford 42, Loch Raven 6 -- Lonnie Liggins ran for three touchdowns in the first half to lead the visiting Bulls (6-1) over the Raiders (1-6). Hereford scored all 42 points before halftime.


Eastern Tech 23, Overlea 13 -- The Mavericks (6-1, 5-1 Baltimore County) built a 16-0 lead at halftime behind David Spalt's 27-yard field goal in the first quarter and two 4-yard touchdown runs by Nick Terry (45 yards, 10 carries) in the second. Thomas Edwards led Eastern Tech in rushing with 132 yards on 20 carries, and scored a fourth-quarter touchdown to put away the Falcons (4-3, 3-3).

Wilde Lake 28, Howard 7 -- Zach Brown rushed for three touchdowns and 110 yards on 19 carries for the Wilde Cats (5-2), who dropped the visiting Lions (2-5).

Staff reports contributed to this article.