1608: VOYAGES UP THE BAY
On July 24, 1608, Capt. John Smith, the explorer and famed co-founder of the colony in Jamestown, Va., set out on his second voyage up the Chesapeake. In the two voyages Smith made that summer, he entered every river and inlet and covered 3,000 miles.
Smith's 1608 voyage is of special interest to Harford County residents because the first authentic information about the upper Chesapeake territory comes from his records. Smith made a fairly accurate map of the area and its islands and shores.
The island off the Harford shore now called Poole's was named "Powel's Isles" by Smith after one of his party, Nathaniel Powell.
He named other features after members of his 12-man crew. He named Smith's Falls on the Susquehanna after himself.
[Our Harford Heritage by C. Milton Wright and The Story of Harford County, No. 9. First National Bank of Aberdeen, 1962. Research by Harford County Public Library.]