Drowning of Arundel boy ruled accidental


The death of a 5-year-old Davidsonville boy in a Crofton swimming pool Thursday evening was ruled an accidental drowning yesterday by the state medical examiner's office.

Connor Freed of the 3000 block of Birdsville Road drowned in a crowded pool at Crofton Country Club, moments after a relative took off the boy's lifejacket so he could use the restroom, Anne Arundel County police said.

The boy was not wearing the vest when he jumped back into the pool, and within five minutes he was seen drowning, said police, who were contacted about 4:30 p.m. Lifeguards tried to revive Connor, and the boy's parents were called, police said.

The boy's mother arrived at the county club in time to be transported with him by paramedics to Anne Arundel Medical Center, police said. Connor was pronounced dead at the hospital about 5:30 p.m.

Wayne Rohauer, general manager of the Crofton Country Club, did not return a phone call yesterday seeking comment.

The boy had gone to the country club as part of a family outing, police said. He had been in the pool when he asked a relative, Paul Carroll, to take off the lifejacket to go inside, police said.

Carroll, of Arnold, could not be reached to comment yesterday. Attempts to reach the boy's parents were unsuccessful.

The drowning occurred a few hours after a 6-year-old attending a camp at Anne Arundel Community College nearly drowned at the college's indoor swim facility, according to a county Fire Department spokesman.

Each summer, the department posts safety swimming tips, such as not leaving young children unattended around a pool.

Lt. Russ Davies, a county fire spokesman, said safety protocols were followed at each site, making the occurrences "so unusual."

"In both of these instances," Davies said, "all these suggestions were being followed."



Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad