Woman linked to death, burning of man is denied bond


A woman charged with accessory after first-degree murder in the death of Anthony Frank Fertitta - a 50-year-old Baltimore man who was fatally stabbed, dumped in a quiet Millersville neighborhood and set on fire last week - was ordered held without bond yesterday by an Anne Arundel County District Court judge.

Cynthia Jean McKay, 49, of the 200 block of Nathan Way in Millersville was arrested Friday and charged with being an accessory after the killing of Fertitta, who was her boyfriend, police said. The crime carries a maximum five-year jail sentence.

Police are looking for the killer and are interviewing several potential suspects, said Lt. David D. Waltemeyer Jr., a police spokesman.

At yesterday's bail hearing, Assistant State's Attorney Brian Marsh argued that McKay is a flight risk and said: "We're concerned because she's faked her own death in the past to get out of an embezzlement charge."

McKay - who participated in the hearing via a video hookup - denied that she ever staged her death. The mother of six has been convicted in 19 other criminal cases, according to testimony given by pretrial services and Marsh. She was released from jail in July.

Four members of Fertitta's family attended the hearing and were visibly upset - one woman wept opening during the proceedings. They declined to comment for this article.

Fertitta often stayed at McKay's home, and the couple had argued the night Fertitta was killed, according to an unnamed witness quoted in police charging documents filed with the District Court. After the argument, McKay phoned another person, who then went to her home at 228 Nathan Way and "violently assaulted" Fertitta while McKay watched, according to the police charging documents.

Police have not charged or identified the person whom they believe assaulted Fertitta, Waltemeyer said.

Police believe Fertitta was killed in McKay's house. A search of it revealed a rug with "an apparent blood stain," "signs that [surfaces in the house] had been cleaned with bleach," and bleach stains on the cuffs of McKay's coat, according to the charging documents.

McKay's account differs from the witness' account. She told police that she and Fertitta were alone that night and that he left the house 15 minutes before he was found dead, according to the documents.

A police officer found Fertitta's body on fire on Old Mill Road at 3:05 a.m. Wednesday.


Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad