Kidnap suspect nabbed after chase due in court


A man charged early this morning in the kidnapping of a woman yesterday afternoon led Baltimore County police on a pursuit from Arbutus to Baltimore-Washington International Airport. Twice he drove through the congested airport terminal lanes before being cornered, dragged out of his car and subdued by officers on Aviation Boulevard, police said.

Police identified the suspect as James William Fling, 42, of the 7800 block of Epsilon Drive in Derwood, Montgomery County, who was held overnight at the Wilkens precinct after treatment at St. Agnes HealthCare for minor injuries following an altercation with officers.

The suspect was charged with kidnapping and false imprisonment and was to appear today at a bail hearing before a District Court commissioner, police said.

Police today said that Fling has also been charged with resisting arrest, possession of cocaine, possession of paraphernalia and several counts of assault. He is being held on $750,000 bail.

The pursuit began about 3:15 p.m. when a Baltimore County police officer at Washington Boulevard and Sulphur Spring Road spotted and stopped a 1980s Toyota Camry that lacked a front license tag, said Bill Toohey, a police spokesman.

"After the officer stopped the car, a female passenger bolted from it and ran towards the officer, yelling she had been assaulted and kidnapped," Toohey said.

The driver then sped off, pursued by other officers onto Washington Boulevard to Interstate 195, Rolling Road and Wilkens Avenue, where the Toyota struck a police car. The car then went through the University of Maryland, Baltimore County campus and back onto I-195 to the airport - making passes of both the arrival and departure ramps as police followed at a safe distance, Toohey said.

Maryland Transportation Authority Police used stop sticks on the last pass of the terminal, which blew out one of the car's tires. "The driver of the Toyota endangered many people at BWI," Toohey said.

After nearly an hour, the Toyota was boxed in on Aviation Boulevard, where a man was pulled out, battling the officers, and subdued with a chemical irritant, Toohey said. staff contributed to this report.

August 26, 2005, 11:47 AM EDT

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad