It had been a hot topic among Orioles fans on Internet chat forums.
The question was: Should the team cancel plans to honor Rafael Palmeiro for his 3,000th hit in a pre-game, Camden Yards ceremony on Aug. 14?
Many fans thought it was inappropriate to proceed with the event in light of Palmeiro's recently announced 10-day suspension for a failed steroids test.
Those fans will be pleased to learn that the Orioles decided yesterday to pull the plug on the celebration.
The club said it was Palmeiro's decision.
"Through his agent, Rafael has specifically requested that the planned event not be held," said Joe Foss, Orioles vice chairman and chief operating officer. "Given the circumstances, the club is in agreement with Rafael's wish to not move forward with the ceremonies."
Baseball announced Palmeiro's suspension on Monday.
A source said yesterday that the Orioles have no plans to release Palmeiro, who is signed through the end of the season.