Confederate soldiers descended on Westminster for the last time on July 9, 1864. Confederate General Bradley T. Johnson, who was from Maryland, ordered Colonel Harry Gilmor to cut all lines that enabled Washington to communicate with Baltimore, Philadelphia and other northern points. Along this path were the telegraph lines in Westminster. On the evening of July 9, Col. Gilmor and his troops galloped into Westminster, seized the telegraph and cut the lines in less than fifteen minutes. Gen. Johnson and the rest of the brigade arrived a few hours later. The confederate troops left early the next morning never to return.
Just South of Gettysburg, edited by Fredric Shriver Klein and Carroll County Maryland: A History 1837-1976 by Nancy M. Warner