Manhole cover explodes, injuring 1

THE BALTIMORE SUN

A 35-year-old man was treated for injuries from a manhole cover explosion and flash fire on Baltimore Annapolis Boulevard in Glen Burnie, Anne Arundel County fire officials said.

Flames from a blowtorch used by workers laying road striping near the Cromwell light rail station caused a manhole cover to explode just after noon and started a fire, said Battalion Chief Lee Cornwell.

The manhole cover struck one worker, who was treated for minor burns and trauma at North Arundel Hospital, Cornwell said.

The explosion was caused by a natural gas leak under the road that formed a gas pocket under the manhole, Cromwell said. Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. was notified.

Light rail service was shut down at the station until 12:50 p.m. Baltimore Annapolis Boulevard was closed until about 1:15 p.m., Cromwell said.

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad
50°