A police report, obtained by investigators during a probe of former Police Commissioner Kevin P. Clark's May domestic dispute, describes a past argument between Clark and his estranged wife.
In the report, Clark alleged that his wife, Natasha, hit him on the head with the phone as he attempted to call police.
A Baltimore Circuit judge ruled last month that Mayor Martin O'Malley did not have to make the report public, but The Sun obtained the document this week after filing a public records request with the Mount Vernon, N.Y., police.
On July 20, 1990, Mount Vernon officers visited the separated couple's home for nine minutes, records indicate. Clark told the officers that his wife had dropped off their children two days late for visitation, according to the report.
Clark told officers that his wife had asked to come inside, but he refused and so she pushed the front door open and attempted to remove the children, the report states. He alleged that after she hit him, she took some of the children and left the house, the report states.
Clark had an expired order of protection against his wife at the time of the incident, the report states. Officers reported that Clark did not suffer any injuries, and they suggested he pursue the matter in family court. No charges were filed.
Clark's attorney, Stuart O. Simms, said this week that the report should remain private because it describes a private matter involving children, occurred more than a decade ago and is unrelated to Clark's profession.
Natasha Clark's attorney, Andrew Radding, declined to comment.
The existence of previous domestic disputes involving Clark came to light last year after he was investigated for a May 15, 2004, dispute with his fiancee.
After the domestic dispute in May, O'Malley asked Howard County police to investigate the incident, and Clark placed himself on voluntary suspension throughout the investigation.
O'Malley received the report in early June and announced that it found any abuse charges to be unsubstantiated. Clark returned to work. O'Malley refused to release the report and The Sun and WBAL-TV filed suit.
The mayor fought the lawsuit but lost in two courts and released the report Nov. 2. Later he released nearly all the documents obtained and created by Howard County police during the investigation, but a circuit judge ruled he didn't have to release the police report from New York.
O'Malley fired Clark in November because, the mayor said, the domestic dispute controversy had become a distraction that impeded Clark from leading the department. Clark has sued the mayor and the city for $120 million.