Arundel Digest


Police don't suspect foul play in death of 6-month-old girl

Anne Arundel police do not suspect foul play in the death of a 6-month-old whose body was found Friday at a baby sitter's house.

The child, Alexis Michelle LaPinto, had no signs of outward trauma, said police spokesman Sgt. Shawn Urbas. No definitive cause of death will be released for some time, he said.

Police were called to a home in the 1600 block of Cananaro Drive in Annapolis about 8:30 p.m. Officers found the baby girl dead in one of the home's bedrooms.

Urbas said an autopsy was completed over the weekend. The state medical examiner is awaiting the results of laboratory tests that could take several weeks to complete, he said.

Suspected bomb closes road, I-195 ramp near BWI

A device initially thought to be a bomb was found yesterday morning near the Baltimore-Washington International Airport, prompting police to shut down one Anne Arundel road and close access to another for about an hour.

Maryland Transportation Authority Police spokeswoman Catherine Leann said the object was found not to be dangerous but looked suspicious to the State Highway Administration inspectors who found it in the median near Route 170 and Interstate 195.

The object, described as a foot-long wooden dowel wrapped in green duct tape with wires attached, was found in the grassy area near the airport about 10 a.m. Authorities shut down I-195 and the ramp from Route 170 to I-195 so that bomb experts from the state fire marshal's office could evaluate the object.

Police do not know how long the object had been in the median or how it got there, said Leahan, adding that the state fire marshal's office has taken over the investigation.

Flu shots for residents at high risk available

The county Department of Health has flu shots for residents who are at high risk at its centers in Annapolis, Glen Burnie, Odenton and Parole.

The vaccine is available by appointment. The health centers are open from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.

The vaccine is free, but the Health Department is encouraging a $10 donation for each shot. More than 17,000 doses have been administered in the county this season.

Information: 410-222-4896 (Annapolis), 410-222-6633 (Glen Burnie), 410-222-6660 (Odenton) and 410-222-7247 (Parole).

Five deputies sworn in; bomb-sniffing dogs replaced

The Anne Arundel County Sheriff"s Office swore in five deputies and officially replaced its two explosive-sniffing dogs yesterday, helping the agency fill its many vacancies.

The department, which is allotted 58 deputies, is short 11 with the addition of the five deputies. Three of the new hires are retired law enforcement officers, and two are recent graduates of police training programs. Sheriff George F. Johnson IV said yesterday that four other recruits are about to start law-enforcement training.

The dogs, Levi and Rocky, are black Labradors. One was donated by a pet rescue group and the other by the National Institutes of Health, where they were trained. The dogs signed the oath book with paw prints.

Last 3 signals removed from section of Route 32

The last three signals were eliminated on the freeway portion of Route 32 yesterday with the opening of three ramps near Fort Meade, part of a $24 million state program to improve interchanges.

The ramps opened are:

A northbound exit off Baltimore-Washington Parkway to Route 32 and Canine Road, which will improve access to the National Security Agency.

A ramp from westbound Route 32 to Canine Road, which has access to NSA.

A ramp from the NSA to eastbound Route 32.

The ramps closed and construction began a few months into 2002. Finishing paving work will start in April, said David Buck, a spokesman for the State Highway Administration.

Man says he was burned while asleep at party

Anne Arundel police are investigating the case of a Pasadena man who showed up early Sunday at a local hospital with second-degree burns, saying he had fallen asleep at a party and woke to find his chest on fire.

Monroe Jory, 26, of the 7700 block of Catherine Ave. drove himself to North Arundel Hospital about 2 a.m. to seek treatment for severe burns to his chest, said police spokesman Sgt. Shawn Urbas. Jory suffered second-degree burns to about 20 percent of his body, Urbas said. Hospital officials said yesterday that he had been released.

Urbas said authorities aren't sure how Jory was burned because he has refused to provide details about the party or the incident.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad