Jurors seated in Annapolis murder case

THE BALTIMORE SUN

Jurors will get their first inkling of prosecutors' murder case against Terrence Tolbert, as well as his defense against charges that he killed and carjacked a businessman in Annapolis' historic district in 2002, when both sides make their opening statements this morning in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court.

Late yesterday, a panel of five men and seven women, plus four alternates, was selected, ending a day of questioning by Judge Ronald A. Silkworth in the high-profile crime that terrified a community, has been a legal roller coaster and led to a change in state law.

Tolbert, 21, is charged with first-degree murder in the Sept. 19, 2002, fatal shooting and armed carjacking of Straughan Lee Griffin, 51, as the businessman unloaded groceries in front of his home near the State House. Tolbert, who lost an arm in a power transformer accident as a youth, could be sentenced to life without parole if convicted. He also faces related charges. But his alleged accomplice is unlikely to face trial on identical state charges because of a court ruling last year.

Members of Griffin's family from Portsmouth, Va. -- who did not watch jury selection --are expected to begin attending the trial today, as are friends of the victim.

Yesterday, Griffin's mother, Virginia, spent her 61st wedding anniversary with a daughter, Linda, her deceased son's fiancee, Ginny Rawls, and his childhood friend, Les Davenport, as the women steeled their nerves for a trial expected to last a week.

Virginia Griffin, who said she may walk out of the trial if she finds it unbearable, said she is expecting "the most difficult time of my life."

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad
54°