APG on track to complete mustard-agent destruction

The Army Chemical Materials Agency announced last week that it has safely destroyed 33.34 percent of the nation's stored chemical agent.

Workers at the Aberdeen Chemical Agent Disposal Facility at Aberdeen Proving Ground have destroyed more than 70 percent of the mustard agent stockpile that has been stored for more than 60 years at the installation, the Army said in a statement. The facility remains on track to complete destruction of this stockpile this winter, the statement said.

"The dedicated workers at all of our disposal facilities are making great strides to eliminate these weapons," said Michael A. Parker, Chemical Materials Agency director.

The Army has destroyed more than 42 percent of the nation's chemical weapons munitions, and 10,503 tons of chemical agent, representing one-third of the total stockpile, the Army's statement said.

All of the chemical weapons on Johnston Island in the Pacific were the first to be eliminated by the Army.

Chemical weapons are also being destroyed in Tooele, Utah; Anniston, Ala.; and Umatilla, Ore. Operations to destroy chemical weapons are expected to begin within 12 months in Pine Bluff, Ark., and Newport, Ind.

Royal Farms Store robbed Thursday by armed man

A convenience store on Philadelphia Road was robbed early Thursday, Harford County police said.

Edward Hopkins, Harford County sheriff's spokesman, said a man entered the Royal Farms Store in the 2600 block of Philadelphia Road about 2:15 a.m. He displayed a handgun and demanded money, then fled. There were no injuries.

Bel Air man dies, 3 hurt in Kingsville vehicle crash

Baltimore County police have identified the Bel Air man who was killed in a crash Tuesday night in Kingsville. The cause of the crash, which injured three other people, is being investigated, police said yesterday.

Police said the accident occurred just before 6 p.m. on Belair Road near Gremecy Park Road when the driver of a 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse heading south on Belair Road crossed the center line and collided with an oncoming Acura. Then, after colliding with a southbound 1994 Dodge Caravan, the Eclipse struck a parked truck.

The driver of the Acura, James Charles Rogers, 44, of the 1700 block of Landmark Drive in Bel Air, was taken to Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore, where he died of his injuries.

The driver of the Eclipse was identified as Christopher James Peotter, 18, of the 700 block of Roland Ave. in Bel Air. Peotter was taken to John Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, where he was treated and released. His passenger, Andrew Michael Todd, 17, of the 900 block of Hepburn Lane in Bel Air, was taken to Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where he was listed in critical condition last week.

The driver of the Caravan, Janice Marian Angelozzi, 53, of the 12000 block of Brooknoll Road, Kingsville, suffered minor injuries.

Police said Peotter was driving on a suspended license and that alcohol was not a factor in the crash.

Single-vehicle accident leaves Bel Air driver dead

A Bel Air man was killed Christmas Day after his car veered out of control, flipped and struck a tree, police said.

Vincent Patrick Machis, 35, had been thrown from the car and was in cardiac arrest when police found him at 3:45 p.m. in the 3300 block of Forge Hill Road, several blocks from his home. He was pronounced dead at Upper Chesapeake Medical Center.

The accident appeared to involve no other vehicles, the Harford County Sheriff's Office said.

Library Board of Trustees seeks candidates to apply

The Harford County Public Library Board of Trustees has begun a search for candidates to be considered for appointment to the board. The positions will represent the Aberdeen and Fallston areas of Harford County. Although the current board members representing these areas are eligible for reappointment, anyone interested in serving as a board member is encouraged to apply.

An application form and information about qualifications may be obtained from any Harford County Public Library branch or by calling 410-638-3151. Completed applications together with a resume must be returned by Feb. 15 to the Office of the Director, Harford County Public Library, 1221-A Brass Mill Road, Belcamp 21017.

Second-grader wins holiday card contest

Lauren Burlinski, a second-grader at Mountain Christian School, was the winner of this year's Upper Chesapeake Holiday Card contest.

Lauren's design, which was used as Upper Chesapeake Health system's holiday card, was submitted by her teacher, Traci Olson.

Lauren's design was selected from more than 100 entries from Harford elementary schools.


Body found near where crewman fell overboard

DELAWARE CITY, Del. -- The body of a man wearing a life jacket was found along the New Jersey shore Tuesday, near where a tugboat crewman fell off a barge into the frigid Delaware River, officials said.

Delaware state police spokesman Capt. Timothy Winstead said the body was found near Elsinboro, N.J., across the river from Delaware City.

Authorities were trying to determine whether the body was that of Francis Starr, 48, of Toms River, N.J., who was the subject of a four-hour search after he fell off a barge delivering a load of gravel and rock to Pea Patch Island on Monday morning.

"The search was called off because of the survivability factor," said David Carpenter Jr., the New Castle County emergency planner.

Carpenter noted that the temperature of the water when Starr went into the river was between 22 degrees and 32 degrees. Coast Guard officials told searchers that it was unlikely that Starr could survive for more than three hours in water that cold.

Coast Guard officials said Starr fell overboard about 6:20 a.m. Monday after he and another crewman aboard a tugboat owned by Langenfeldor Marine had left Havre de Grace, tied off a barge at a construction site on Pea Patch Island.

The barge had a light coating of ice on its decks that may have contributed to the fall, Carpenter said. The tugboat captain told state police he had cautioned the two men about the ice on the barge.

Moments after Starr went overboard, the barge broke loose from its moorings and began drifting away from the island. The tugboat captain and his remaining crew members managed to get the barge under control and return it to the construction site.

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad