Rankings are a compilation of opinions of eight NFL writers from Tribune Publishing newspapers across the country (last week's ranking in parentheses):
1. Steelers (1) 12-game winning streak on the line vs. a very tough Ravens defense.
2. Eagles (3) Wondering what the Monday Night Football lead-in will be without Terrell Owens?
5. Chargers (5) Hard to believe this high-voltage bunch was 4-12 in 2003.
7. Jets (7) Chad Pennington should attack Patriots defense instead of the New York media.
8. Jaguars (12) Santa came a week early for the "Cardiac Cats" at Lambeau.
10. Ravens (8) Team has a chance to strike back at Ben Roethlisberger.
11. Packers (9) 'Twas the night before Christmas and we watched football.
12. Vikings (15) Still the night before Christmas and we didn't miss a play.
14. Panthers (13) Super Bowl losers still in the playoff hunt despite a losing mark.
15. Seahawks (14) Season's biggest disappointment meets worst franchise.
16. Chiefs (20) They need much more than Priest Holmes to save this season.
19. Rams (17) Headed for major shake-up in the offseason.
20. Saints (26) Ditto.
21. Redskins (23) Luckily for Joe Gibbs, NASCAR season is only two months away.
22. Cowboys (21) Fans used to wait all season for Redskins-Cowboys.
23. Buccaneers (18) It could be time to abandon ship on the SS Chucky Ball.
24. Raiders (28) A win over the Titans, er, Midgets, does not a season make.
25. Lions (22) NFL Sunday Ticket was made to avoid games like Lions-Bears.
27. Cardinals (29) Unlike the Big Unit, no one would notice if they left town.
28. Titans (24) Indefensible defensive effort: allowing five touchdown passes by Kerry Collins.
29. Bears (25) No touchdowns in the past two weeks.
30. Dolphins (30) Made their season by beating Patriots.
31. Browns (31) Would need Butch Davis back to have a story line vs. Miami.
32. 49ers (32) Everyone's favorite punching bag plays host to Buffalo.