About 400 guests at a hotel near Baltimore-Washington International Airport were evacuated this morning after smoke was detected on the building's second floor, authorities said.
No injuries were reported in the small blaze.
The Anne Arundel County Fire Department was called to the BWI Marriott Hotel at 1743 W. Nursery Road in Linthicum just before 5 a.m., according to Division Chief John Scholz. The cause of the blaze was a malfunctioning fire pump in a mechanical room, Scholz said.
Marriott officials said that work had recently been done on the fire pump, according to Scholz. Fire crews initially responded to an alarm about an hour before the smoke was detected showing trouble at the fire pump, but no apparent problem was initially found.
According to Scholz, the smoke most likely reached the second floor through the hotel's ventilation system.
"The fire was relatively small," Scholz said. He estimated the damage at $10,000.
The hotel's guests were allowed back into their rooms shortly after 6 a.m.
Originally published May 5, 2004, 9:40 AM EDT