We cannot tell a lie. It's George Washington's birthday today. In honor of the father of our country and his prized Mount Vernon, Va., estate, York Wallcoverings has created a home collection of wallpapers and borders and an art accent mural window.
The designs are based on original historic documents from the Mount Vernon archives, including Washington's journals and books. Designs include Chairs With Writing (pictured above), featuring neoclassical chairs against a background of Washington's handwriting; Mount Vernon Scenic Toile (right), which displays the Mount Vernon facade; Needlepoint Shells (above right), Martha Washington's own needlepoint pattern; and Fruits and Flowers, inspired by Washington's botanical books.
The Mount Vernon collection is available at National Wallcoverings in Owings Mills, Papier Interiors in Timonium, Plymouth Wallcoverings in Catonsville and Duron Paints and Wallcoverings stores. A single roll is $34.99-$39.99, borders $34.99-$37.99 and the window mural $69.99.
Visit www.yorkwall.com or call 800-375-YORK.
A combo for the dishwasher
When you want spotless glasses, you reach for Cascade. And when you want to cut through greasy messes on pans, you grab the Dawn. Well, get ready to wring out that sponge and squeal, because there's now Cascade 2in1 Actionpacs, a Cascade and Dawn cleaning combo, made especially for the dishwasher.
Simply pop the wrapped pouch in the main dispenser cup of the dishwasher and let 'er clean. The Actionpacs are made of a concentrated Cascade powder and a specially formulated version of Dawn. The loose powder dissolves three times faster than regular dishwashing tablets.
Available in regular and citrus scents, they sell for $2.69 for a pack of 12 or $3.79 for a pack of 20. They're available at supermarkets. Visit www.pg.com for information.
Checking out what's on top
It's been one wet winter. How's your roof holding up? If you're in need of a repair, just thinking about getting a new roof or are in dire need of a new roof, the National Roofing Contractors Association reminds you to thoroughly evaluate potential roofing contractors. They offer these tips for homeowners:
* Be sure the roofer has a permanent address, phone number, tax ID number and proof of insurance. And ask how long he's been in business.
* See if the roofer attends seminars, conferences and trade shows.
* Make sure the roofer will provide a full written proposal detailing the entire project.
* Check that the roofer provides warranties for his work and for materials.
* Ask for references. Get names and numbers of recent clients and ask about other works-in-progress.
For more tips or to find NRCA contractors, visit www.nrca.net.
* Figurative oil paintings and an installation of two- and three-dimensional drawings are on display at the show timeline by Nancy Linden, through Feb. 29 at Resurgam Gallery, 910 S. Charles St. Pictured is a work titled "timeline," a charcoal and wire creation on paper and canvas. Call 410-962-0513 for hours.
Home Front welcomes interesting home and garden news. Please send suggestions to Lori Sears, Home Front, The Sun, 501 N. Calvert St., Baltimore, MD 21278, or fax to 410-783-2519. Information must be received at least four weeks in advance to be considered.