ASHBURN, Va. - When the Washington Redskins take the field in their final preseason game tonight, wide receiver Patrick Woodcock is well aware of the task ahead of him.
The second-year receiver is one of seven wide-outs on a Redskins roster that seems set with six - Laveranues Coles, Rod Gardner, Taylor Jacobs, Cliff Russell, Patrick Johnson and Darnerien McCants (Arundel).
Woodcock's play tonight (8 o'clock, chs. 4, 24) against the Jaguars in Jacksonville could determine whether the Washington coaches decide to keep six or seven wide receivers.
"You're battling to make the team," Woodcock said of his approach. "It's always that kind of situation where you can't afford to make a mistake. You need to take advantage of the opportunities when you get them."
Besides wide receiver, there are several other positions at which the number of competitors exceeds the number of roster spots.
* Quarterback: Rob Johnson was signed during the offseason to back up Patrick Ramsey, but coach Steve Spurrier has not eliminated Danny Wuerffel from the competition. Wuerffel, in fact, will play at least a half tonight. Seventh-round draft choice Gibran Hamdan could end up on the practice squad.
* Tailback: Spurrier has said the team intends to keep Trung Canidate, Chad Morton, Kenny Watson and Ladell Betts on the active roster. If undrafted rookie Sultan McCullough lands on the practice squad, Robert Gillespie might have to go.
* Tight end: Robert Royal and Zeron Flemister are locks to make the active roster. Undrafted rookie Kevin Ware's status is a question mark.
* Offensive line: Akil Smith was on the practice squad last year and could be elevated this fall. Brad Bedell, Pita Elisara and Brandon Winey could be casualties.
* Defensive line: Bernard Jackson and Ladairis Jackson appear safe. Andre Arnold, Jonathan Brown and Mike Cecere may be looking for new jobs.
* Linebacker: Undrafted rookies Chris Clemons and Clifton Smith need to play well tonight to stay.
* Defensive back: Undrafted rookie Ade Jimoh's impressive play persuaded the coaches to release former San Diego Charger Alex Molden. Larry Austin, Rashidi Barnes, Fred Booker, Wade Davis and Jordan Younger are on the bubble.