THB, Banditos, Wayward and more confirmed for Cosmic Cocktail!

Two charged in domestic incidents


Two men were being held at an Anne Arundel County jail yesterday after separate domestic incidents that led to standoffs with police.

Both men, accused of assaulting their female partners before threatening to harm themselves, were charged with first- and second-degree assault and reckless endangerment in the incidents Sunday in Shadyside and Severn.

The first incident occurred early Sunday when police said a man threatened his wife with a shotgun in their home in the 1500 block of Snug Harbor Road in Severn.

Anne Arundel County police said Kevin Joseph Horty, 31, is accused of pointing a shotgun at his wife, Lisa Marie Horty, 29, and threatening to kill both of them. She was struck on top of the head with the butt of the shotgun, police said.

During a struggle for the gun, two rounds were fired, striking the walls of the home. No one was injured, police said.

Lisa Horty wrested the gun from her husband, police said. She fled the home with the gun and a cell phone and called police at 1:17 a.m.

A second woman who lives in the home, Christina Parsons, heard the incident and fled with Lisa Horty, police said.

When police arrived, Kevin Horty, who had barricaded himself inside the home, told police by phone that they were going to have to kill him and said repeatedly that he wanted to die, police said.

"He made verbal threats that he was going to kill himself," county police spokesman Charles Ravenell said.

At 2:45 a.m., Horty voluntarily left the home and was arrested.

After an emergency evaluation at Anne Arundel Medical Center, Horty was taken to the Southern District station and charged. In addition to the assault and reckless endangerment charges, Horty also was charged with displaying a deadly weapon with the intent to injure.

He remained at the Jennifer Road Detention Center yesterday after bail was denied.

Lisa Horty refused treatment by paramedics for the cut to her head.

The second incident occurred about 8:15 p.m. Sunday in Severn when a woman told police her live-in boyfriend had pinned her against a wall and choked her with his hands.

The woman, whose name was not released, fled their home in the 1100 block of Thompson Ave. and called police from a nearby business.

When police arrived, they tried to persuade Michael P. Brock, 45, to leave the house, but he refused to come out.

"He made statements that he was not coming out voluntarily and that he would harm himself and whoever came in," Ravenell said.

After several hours of negotiations, Brock left the home and was arrested at 12:32 a.m. No weapon was found.

Yesterday, Brock also was being held at the Jennifer Road Detention Center. His bail was set at $25,000.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad