Capital Gazette wins special Pulitzer Prize citation for coverage of newsroom shooting that killed five

Old Mill, Bulls finish off Broadneck


Daniel Bulls got the chance to redeem himself after a costly error, and the Old Mill senior wouldn't be denied.

Blaming himself for his team being in overtime, Bulls boomed the game-winner into the right corner of the net from about 12 yards out.

His golden goal came with 2:07 left in the extra 10-minute session to give the Old Mill boys soccer team a 2-1 victory last night at Broadneck's Lawrence E. Knight Stadium.

Bulls, a returning All-County junior striker, had missed a penalty kick off the post in the first half. It admittedly took him out of the game mentally for a while. That is until overtime, when he smelled victory.

"It was real frustrating, I'm not going to lie," Bulls said.

"I usually put it in the same spot all the time, and that one I just didn't hit right. After that, it was tough for me to get back into the game because I was so down on myself from the PK."

Added Bulls: "I finally got my head straight and finished."

Waiting for his chance, Bulls was ready when senior Andrew Fach directed the ball his way on a breakaway.

"Andrew played a good ball in the space, and I just ran onto it," said Bulls, who was tightly marked most of the game by Bruins senior backs and co-captains Matt Riggin and Josh Greene.

Broadneck keeper Rob Llano, who had six saves on the night, didn't have a chance as Bulls unleashed the game-clincher.

"Sometimes great players make good things happen, and I think that's what happened there at the end," said Broadneck coach Sean Tettemer.

Winning coach Jeff Martin's Patriots (5-1-1 overall, 3-0 county) dominated much of the game after Broadneck (4-2-1, 3-1-1) took a 1-0 lead on a Colin Smith-to-Dan Johnson goal off a corner kick in the opening three minutes.

"We're lucky to walk out of here with a win," Martin said.

"Broadneck played a great game. Those guys are always ready to play and they play hard."

Ryan Payne's goal from Wijy Jones on a free kick about 15 minutes after the Bruins had taken the 1-0 lead tied it up.

Old Mill outshot the Bruins 15-8, but missed at least three chances to win it in regulation.

"Old Mill probably took the better of the play, but our conditioning really showed that we're right there," Tettemer said.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad