Eastern Tech is still shutout specialist


The defensive streak continued for the sixth-ranked Eastern Tech boys soccer team as it extended its school record for regular-season shutouts to six straight with a 2-0 victory over fourth-ranked Dulaney yesterday.

The loss spoiled the Lions' home opener in a major non-divisional game.

"It was a matter of personal pride to show what we have done in the last few years was not the peak of what we expect to do," said Eastern Tech coach Peter Glaudemans. "We expect to be back in the state semifinals. We expect to do our best and go after the state title."

The Mavericks (2-0) won their first Baltimore County and regional crowns last season before bowing out in the Class 2A state semifinals.

"It was really important to step up today. We had to show that we still had it from last year," Eastern Tech senior goalie Brad Senft said. "I thought we did an outstanding job on defense today."

Eastern Tech went right after Dulaney in the first half, though both teams were handicapped at times because of strong winds.

The Mavericks were unable to score on a direct kick with about 10 minutes remaining in the first half, but continued to pressure the Lions' goal.

A hand ball called against Dulaney's Eric Frey set up a direct kick for Bryan Moffa with 4:20 left before halftime.

Moffa ripped a shot to the left of the Lions' five-player defensive wall, spinning the ball away from outstretched goalie Ben Horrigan (nine saves), who got a hand on the shot, but couldn't prevent it from finding the net.

"It's always nice to take the edge off and be the first on the board," said Glaudemans, who is in his 11th year coaching the Mavericks.

"We didn't need to score first. We just wanted to stress two things: patient possession and conservative defense. Over a span of 80 minutes, that approach worked out very well for us."

Eastern Tech kept up the intensity to begin the second half and it paid off just seven minutes into the period. Of a re-start, senior Johnny Kuebel sent a pass from the left sideline to the right post, where a streaking Luke Herold slid and kicked the ball into the goal.

Dulaney tried to answer moments later, but Senft (six saves) came out to save the initial shot, then turned away a strong follow-up shot by Jay Feeley.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad