Regional Digest


In Prince George's

Officer is dragged by car after making traffic stop

COTTAGE CITY - A part-time officer with the Cottage City Police Department was injured early yesterday when he was dragged by a suspect's car after a traffic stop, police said.

Officer Timothy Kingston, 35, who has been with the force for six months, pulled over a car in the 3700 block of 40th Ave. in Cottage City, a small town near Hyattsville, about 1:30 a.m. After Kingston approached the car, the driver drove off.

Kingston became attached to the car and was dragged about 60 feet, said Cpl. Diane Richardson with Prince George's County police. Kingston was freed when the car slammed into a parked vehicle. The car then crashed into a house farther down the block, and the driver fled on foot.

Kingston had apparently fired several shots at the driver while he was being dragged. A suspect was arrested a few hours later when he showed up at an area hospital with a gunshot wound to the foot. He was later questioned by Prince George's County police. Kingston was in fair condition at Prince George's Hospital Center yesterday.

In Baltimore City

Unidentified man with stab wounds dies

A man who had suffered stab wounds and had been discovered by police Friday night died early yesterday, police said.

Police discovered the man at 11:25 p.m. Friday in the 2100 block of Harford Road. The victim, described by police as a young man, was pronounced dead just after midnight at Johns Hopkins Hospital. Police said that they had not identified the man and that no arrests have been made.

The stabbing death is the 174th homicide in the city this year. Mayor Martin O'Malley had hoped to reduce the number of homicides in the city to 175 for the entire year.

In Anne Arundel

Blaze at furniture store causes $550,000 in damage

GLEN BURNIE - A four-alarm fire that started in an outside trash bin caused more than $550,000 in damage to the Sticks N Stuff furniture store in the first block of Orchard Road early yesterday.

Anne Arundel County fire officials were investigating the cause of the fire, which spread from the trash bin to the former Levitz furniture store, causing about $50,000 in damage to the building, said Division Chief John Scholz. More than 60 firefighters from Anne Arundel, Howard and Baltimore counties and Baltimore City responded to the blaze, reported by a neighbor at 12:17 a.m.

The fire was under control by 2 a.m., but it took firefighters three more hours to clear the building of the smoke that did most of the $500,000 in damage to the store's furniture. Two firefighters were treated at the scene for injuries resulting from exhaustion.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad