Don’t miss Orioles players, John Means & Paul Fry, as they guest host at our Brews and O’s event!

Arrest made in officers' killings


The man accused of killing two Prince George's County sheriff's deputies was arrested early yesterday in a small, dark shed behind an apartment complex in Langley Park, just two miles from where the officers were shot Thursday night.

James Ramiah Logan, 23, was charged with two counts of first-degree murder in the shooting deaths of Cpl. James V. Arnaud and Pvt. Elizabeth Licera Magruder, who were attempting to remove him from his parents' home for a psychiatric evaluation.

Logan was being held last night without bond at the Prince George's County Detention Center. He is scheduled to appear before a judge Tuesday for a bond-review hearing.

"This is what we would call a very hollow victory," Prince George's County Police Chief Gerald Wilson said at a news conference yesterday morning.

Police said Logan shot both officers in the upper body after his parents had let the officers into their home in Adelphi to take Logan for an evaluation. Logan's wife had petitioned a county court to order the evaluation.

About 1:30 a.m. yesterday, two undercover officers spotted Logan leaving an apartment building in Langley Park, said Capt. Andrew Ellis, a county police spokesman. Logan was alone, and he ran after seeing the officers.

The officers lost sight of Logan and called in the police dog unit, Ellis said. About that time, a resident of the Quebec Arms apartment complex called police to say he saw a suspicious man near several trash bins. The dogs tracked Logan to a free-standing brick shed next to the bins.

"Officers called for him to come out, and he refused," Ellis said.

Officers then fired pepper balls into the shed, but Logan did not respond. Finally, officers entered the shed with the dogs.

A dog found Logan in a back corner of the shed and started barking at him, Ellis said. Logan repeatedly kicked the dog, which bit his ankle and held on. Officers called off the dog and shot Logan with an M26 Taser stun gun. He was disabled for several seconds, and officers apprehended him about 2 a.m.

Logan was unarmed. He was taken to Prince George's Hospital Center to receive treatment for the bites to his ankle and injuries to his triceps. He was interviewed at the county police headquarters yesterday morning and taken to the county jail.

"The department is very happy for the apprehension, but there's still a very solemn atmosphere there," said Prince George's County Sheriff Alonzo D. Black. The deputies were the first in the department to be killed in the line of duty.

Logan's arrest ended a 28-hour manhunt that involved scores of officers in Prince George's County and many more in 11 other police agencies.

The apartment complex where Logan was arrested consists of several three-story brick buildings in the 8200 block of 14th Ave. Police declined to say what Logan was doing there.

Roberto Avila, a resident of a building next to the shed, said he awoke at 2 a.m. to the sound of helicopters buzzing overhead and police sirens in the parking lot. Young men often hang out there late into the night, Avila said.

"Every weekend they drink, but do nothing bad," he said.

Just two miles away, two police officers kept watch over Logan's parents' brick ranch home in the 9300 block of Lynmont Drive.

William Driskill, who lives across the street from the Logans, said he occasionally saw Logan visiting his parents with his two young children.

The family has lived in the home for about 15 years, Driskill said while tending his tidy green lawn yesterday. "He was brought up very well by his family," he said. "They never caused any problems."

But Logan's wife had recently become concerned about his erratic behavior, the Associated Press reported. Logan reportedly has a history of mental and emotional problems, and violent behavior.

He has a September trial date on nine drug possession and distribution charges, and he pleaded guilty in 1999 in Prince George's County to two counts of felony theft, according to court records.

The two deputies were working overtime when they arrived at the Lynmont Drive home at 9:26 Thursday night. Less than 10 minutes later, Magruder had radioed for help. Arnaud died at the scene, Magruder at Prince George's Hospital Center.

Arnaud, 53, was a retired Army drill sergeant and a 13-year veteran of the department. A resident of North Beach in Calvert County, he was married with two grown children and two grandchildren.

Magruder, 30, was a rookie who graduated from the police academy in May. She lived in Clinton and leaves behind her husband and a 3-year-old son.

Attempts to reach Logan's attorney, Scott L. Little of Upper Marlboro, were unsuccessful yesterday.

Sun staff writer Jackie Powder and the Associated Press contributed to this article.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad