Jules Jacobsen,83, who helped put Brown 'N...


Jules Jacobsen,

83, who helped put Brown 'N Serve rolls on America's dinner tables more than half a century ago, died Saturday at his home in Lantana, Fla.

Mr. Jacobsen stumbled across one of the first kitchen shortcuts when his friend, volunteer firefighter Joe Gregor, went out on a fire call and came back to a pan of half-baked rolls.

The ex-GI pair, living in a small town northwest of Lake Okeechobee, had been contemplating a way to deliver pre-made, bakery-fresh bread to homes and still manage to serve them piping hot for dinner. It turned out that a slow leak in the oven gave them just the results they had been looking for, he told the Palm Beach Post in an interview two years ago.

"Too simple. It was an accident. It wasn't brilliance."

In 1949, the pair sold the rights to the rolls to General Mills for $60,000.

Alan Bell,

70, professor emeritus of counseling and educational psychology at Indiana University and father of Grammy Award-winning violinist Joshua Bell, died Monday in Bloomington, Ind.

Mr. Bell had been hospitalized since May 4, when he suffered a stroke in his sleep.

A researcher for 15 years with the Kinsey Institute for Sex Research, Mr. Bell directed the university's Center for Human Growth from 1969 to 1977 and was a professor of counseling and educational psychology at IU until he retired five years ago.

Richard J. Schilling Sr.,

79, an owner of the Beverly Hills Supper Club in Southgate, Ky., when it burned in 1977, killing 165 people, died Tuesday at his home in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

The supper club had been a casino in northern Kentucky's wide-open gambling days, which ended in the early 1960s. Mr. Schilling and his three sons acquired the building and opened it in 1971 as a night spot that billed big-name entertainers.

On May 28, 1977, fire erupted, killing patrons who had come to see singer John Davidson. Nothing has been built on the hilltop site since. The state fire marshal's office investigation revealed that there were not enough fire exits to safely evacuate patrons when the building was at full capacity. Investigations also revealed problems with electrical wiring.

Lawsuits stemming from the fire set precedents in class action law.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad