Anne Cecilia Tangires, 72, Social Security analystAnne...


Anne Cecilia Tangires, 72, Social Security analyst

Anne Cecilia Tangires, a retired Social Security analyst, died of cancer Wednesday at her Ellicott City home. She was 72.

Mrs. Tangires retired in 1996 from the Social Security Administration in Woodlawn, where she worked in systems planning for 20 years.

Born in Baltimore and raised on Monastery Avenue in Irvington, Anne Cecilia Moxley was a 1947 graduate of Seton High School. She had a degree in business from the University of Baltimore.

Family members said she was host to weekend sports parties for her children, and enjoyed attending their football, baseball and lacrosse games.

Her marriage to James D. Tangires ended in divorce.

A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 10 a.m. today at the Roman Catholic Church of the Resurrection, 3175 Paulskirk Drive, Ellicott City, where she was a member.

She is survived by three sons, Anthony Tangires and Richard Tangires, both of Ellicott City, and Charlie Tangires of Springfield, Va.; two daughters, Margaret Koenig and Anita Boin, both of Ellicott City; a brother, Richard Moxley of Catonsville; and seven grandchildren.

David F. Kite Jr., 73, salesman and clown

David F. Kite Jr., who spent his professional life as a salesman but fulfilled a lifelong dream in retirement by becoming a clown, died of blood cancer Wednesday at his Ellicott City home. He was 73.

For 24 years, Mr. Kite worked for Star Expansion Co. He retired in 1990 after selling fastening devices for construction throughout Maryland and four other states.

In retirement, he took on the role of "Poppy the Clown," a sad-sack tramp. A man with a dry sense of humor and an aversion to anything fancy, Mr. Kite had found his calling.

"He just loved joking around; that was his personality," said his wife of 50 years, the former Elizabeth "Bette" Lane. "I think that gives you a license to do more of it, if you're calling yourself a clown. He delighted in being the 'old bum.'"

He portrayed a clown for the Shriners across Central Maryland. A member of the Boumi Temple Clown Unit, he took his act into hospices when the couple wintered in Florida. He was proud that he won third place for makeup and costume in a mid-Atlantic Shriners competition in his first year as Poppy, Mrs. Kite said.

Born in Reading, Pa., he graduated from City College in 1946. He served in the Marine Corps for about a year after graduation and then re-enlisted in 1950 to serve in Korea. He reached the rank of staff sergeant before being discharged in 1953.

After that, he sold a variety of items, including batteries, light bulbs and Breyers ice cream, to stores before joining the Star company.

Services will be held at 11 a.m. today at the Harry H. Witzke Family Funeral Home, 4112 Old Columbia Pike, Ellicott City.

In addition to his wife, Mr. Kite is survived by two daughters, Laura Gick of Woodbine and Susan Ritmiller of Reisterstown; a son, Jeff Kite of Owings Mills; and six grandchildren.

Sarah L. Madden, 82, dental hygienist

Sarah L. Madden, a retired dental hygienist, died Monday of complications from a stroke at St. Joseph Medical Center. She was 82 and lived in the Wesley Home in Mount Washington. She had earlier lived in Edgewood Meadows.

Born Sarah Lucinda Lovell in West Boylston, Mass., she was a 1939 graduate of a school of dental hygiene in Boston.

In 1964, she became the dental hygienist at Edgewood Arsenal. Family members said she created an educational program there that stressed preventive dentistry and nutrition.

Her husband of 45 years, Dr. Raymond H. Madden, a colonel in the Army Dental Corps, died in 1986.

A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. March 12 at Wesley Chapel, 2211 W. Rogers Ave.

She is survived by a son, David H. Madden; a daughter, Patricia Wilhelm; and four grandchildren. All are of Baltimore.

Natalie Campbell Phelps, 91, registered nurse

Natalie Campbell Phelps, who earned her degree as a registered nurse after age 50, died of congestive heart failure Sunday at Chapel Hill Nursing Home in Randallstown. She was 91.

Born Natalie Campbell in Baltimore, she was a 1926 graduate of Douglass High School. She received her nursing degree in 1960, and worked at what is now Wyman Park Medical Center.

Mrs. Phelps was married for 19 years to Charles H. Mitchner Sr., with whom she had four children. After their divorce, she married James Phelps in 1948. Mr. Phelps died in 1986.

Mr. Phelps built a home for the couple in 1950, where Mrs. Phelps lived until 1997. She then moved to California to live with her daughter. After suffering a stroke, she returned to the Baltimore area, residing in Brighton Gardens, an assisted-living facility in Pikesville.

Mrs. Phelps enjoyed traveling, especially cruises, and was an ardent card player. She particularly favored pinochle and poker, family members said.

Services will be held at 11:30 a.m. today at John Wesley United Methodist Church in Glen Burnie.

Mrs. Phelps is survived by three sons, Charles H. Mitchner Jr. of Saginaw, Mich., Lloyd Mitchner of Randallstown and Donald Mitchner of Felton, Calif.; a daughter, Norma M. Lamb of Winters, Calif.; 20 grandchildren; 21 great-grandchildren; and 10 great-great-grandchildren.


Harold Weisberg, 88, a researcher whose books challenged the official findings about the John F. Kennedy and Martin Luther King Jr. assassinations, died Thursday of cardiovascular disease. He was 88.

Mr. Weisberg's self-published 1965 book, Whitewash, was the first to challenge the Warren Commission's conclusion that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone in shooting President Kennedy. He wrote six more books on the subject.

Mr. Weisberg also wrote Martin Luther King: The Assassination, which concluded James Earl Ray was framed for Dr. King's murder.

His quest for information from government agencies produced documents that filled 60 file cabinets. He donated the collection to Hood College in 1993.

"I don't think I've ever seen anybody as dedicated to a topic as he was to this. He was just tenacious about it," Linda Hoffman, Mr. Weisberg's great-niece, said yesterday.

Born in Philadelphia, Mr. Weisberg worked for the Wilmington, Del., Morning News and the Philadelphia Ledger. He also was a Senate committee investigator and served in the Army as an analyst for the Office of Strategic Services, a forerunner of the Central Intelligence Agency, during World War II.

A funeral service will be held Monday, Ms. Hoffman said.

Harold P. Furth, 72, the originator of the Tokamak Fusion Test Reactor and a professor emeritus of astrophysical sciences at Princeton University, died Thursday in Philadelphia.

The Tokamak reactor was the most advanced and highest-performance fusion device ever constructed in the United States. Conceived in the early 1970s, the machine operated for 14 years, producing world record-setting and major scientific results before closing down in 1997.

He held more than 20 patents, primarily in the areas of controlled magnetic fusion technology and metal-forming with pulsed magnetic fields, and published more than 200 technical papers.

Dr. Furth served on committees and panels for the Department of Energy, the Department of Defense, NASA, and the National Academy of Sciences.

Stephen Longstreet, 94, a screenwriter and author who penned more than 100 fiction and nonfiction books, died of pneumonia and congestive heart failure Wednesday in Los Angeles.

An artist by training, Mr. Longstreet's best-known work was chronicling the colorful world of jazz during the 20th century. He switched to writing during the Depression to make a living.

He wrote detective novels in the mid-1930s under various pen names before writing fiction under his name, including The Pedlocks and The Flesh Peddlers. He was hired by Warner Bros. in the 1940s and wrote The Jolson Story and Stallion Road, which starred Ronald Reagan.

John Thaw, 60, known to millions of TV viewers worldwide as the grumpy, music-loving detective in the Inspector Morse series, died in London on Thursday after battling throat cancer.

Mr. Thaw was a stage actor and had been a leading television actor for many years. He was inextricably identified with Inspector Morse after creating a complex character whose flaws appealed to fans as much as his better qualities.

The British series began in 1985 and lasted for 15 years, during which 33 two-hour episodes were aired. Inspector Morse had a 13-year run in the United States as part of PBS' Mystery! series, beginning in 1988, and was shown in many other countries.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad