Man gets life plus 60 years for rape, carjacking


Antonio Donnell Oesby, a Washington man serving multiple life terms for rape and murder, was sentenced to life plus 60 years in prison yesterday for a Columbia rape and carjacking linked to him through DNA.

Howard County Circuit Judge James B. Dudley imposed the sentence yesterday during a half-hour, off-the-docket proceeding planned quietly after Oesby, 25, forced postponements of two previously scheduled hearings - one as recently as Friday - after he complained that he was ill.

The idea was to "not create any additional stress on Mr. Oesby as he awaited a sentencing proceeding," said Deputy Public Defender Louis P. Willemin, Oesby's lawyer.

Dudley's sentence will run consecutively to two consecutive life terms imposed by a Prince George's County judge for murder and rape convictions tied to the death of a Laurel jogger in late 1999. The Prince George's sentence is consecutive to a sentence of 25 years to life imposed for a Washington rape.

Lawyers said yesterday that Oesby also has received sentences totaling 89 years for sexual offense and armed robbery convictions in Prince George's County. The Howard case was the last to reach the sentencing phase, lawyers said yesterday.

All of the offenses occurred during a six-week period in fall 1999 - which began 4 1/2 months after Oesby was released from prison after serving time for a conviction related to the attempted kidnapping of a Columbia woman in 1995.

Dudley noted the earlier conviction, which resulted in a five-year prison term, before sentencing.

"This is a tragic case. ... It's made more tragic by the fact he was in our hands, in our county," he said. "Sometime in 1999, the criminal justice system failed the citizens of Maryland, and Mr. Oesby was released."

In the more recent Howard County case, a young Columbia woman was abducted during a carjacking from her Woodpark Lane home Oct. 1, 1999, driven to a rocky driveway and raped at knifepoint while her 2-year-old son slept in the back seat.

Oesby was arrested after DNA testing matched his blood to samples taken from the victim in the hours after the attack.

In a written statement read aloud yesterday by Assistant State's Attorney Lara Weathersbee, the victim, a single mother, said the attack turned her stable, secure life "upside down," forcing her to deal with fear and depression.

"Going home is not sweet until I am inside behind locked doors and a phone by my side," she wrote. Her "greatest fear" is that her son will remember the details of the attack.

"You have taken my innocence, my security and my freedom," she wrote. "I feel it is only fair to return the favor."

Weathersbee asked Dudley to impose the harshest sentence possible based on Oesby's past.

But Willemin said that the sentences imposed will keep Oesby behind bars until he dies and asked the judge for a "small bit of potential mercy." Oesby will complete the sentence for the Washington rape first, likely in a remote federal prison. Making the Howard sentence concurrent to that case, Willemin said, could have given Oesby a chance to request to stay in the Maryland system, closer to friends and family.

Dudley rejected the request.

Sun staff writer Julie Bykowicz contributed to this article.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad