Harry G. Mantakos, 87, restaurateur, deputy sheriffHarry...


Harry G. Mantakos, 87, restaurateur, deputy sheriff

Harry G. Mantakos, a retired restaurateur, died Monday of heart failure at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center. He was 87 and lived in Canton.

He was banquet manager of the old Lord Baltimore Hotel from the 1940s through the 1960s, when he opened Colonial House restaurant in the 5200 block of Belair Road in Gardenville. After giving up the restaurant in the mid-1970s, Mr. Mantakos worked as a deputy city sheriff and for the Belvedere Hotel and Haussner's Restaurant.

Born in Volos, Greece, Mr. Mantakos was a graduate of the Greek Merchant Marine Academy. He immigrated to Baltimore in 1939.

He served in the Army during World War II, and was decorated with the Soldiers Medal for helping to save drowning civilians whose ship was sunk off Hawaii. He attained the rank of master sergeant.

Mr. Mantakos began his career about 60 years ago, working at Harry's Lunch, an Eastern Avenue business owned by a family member.

Services will be held at 11 a.m. tomorrow at Cathedral of the Annunciation, Maryland Avenue and Preston Street, where he was a member.

Survivors include his wife of 61 years, the former Stella Katsadoros; a son, George Mantakos of Baltimore; a daughter, Tina Wiles of Columbia; five grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.

Norline Paulette Stith, 49, insurance agent

Norline Paulette Stith, an insurance agent, died of liver cancer Jan. 30 at Maryland General Hospital. She was 49 and lived in West Baltimore.

For the past four years, she had been an agent for North Carolina Mutual Insurance Co. Earlier, she worked for the Department of Social Services, Amoco Corp. and Supreme Life Insurance Co.

Born and raised in Petersburg, Va., she attended Sojourner-Douglass College in Baltimore. As a child she was a member of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference and walked picket lines alongside her parents to protest racial segregation.

Services were held Monday at Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church, where she was a member.

She is survived by a son, Johnny Stith of Baltimore; her father, William Stith of Petersburg; her mother, Anne Squirrel of Baltimore; four brothers, Thaddeus Stith, Alphonso Stith and Armus Stith, all of Baltimore, and Adelious Stith of Security, Colo.; five sisters, Arlethia Stith-Garrison of Baltimore, and Karen Laboo, Gilvia V. Stith, Andrea Muhammed and Gavonzella Burke, all of Petersburg, Va.; five grandchildren; and Toni Owens, Tonya Miller and Tara Powell, all of Baltimore, the daughters of a friend who were part of Miss Stith's extended family.

A son, Curlenzo Stith, died in 1999.

Sister Regina Dolores, 92, parochial school principal

Sister Regina Dolores, a retired parochial school principal, died of a heart attack Jan. 30 at a hospital in Aston, Pa. She was 92 and lived at her order's retirement home in Aston.

A member of the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia for nearly seven decades, she taught and was a school administrator in Baltimore for more than four decades.

She was principal at St. Joseph in Fullerton from 1950 to 1956, St. Peter Claver in Baltimore from 1965 to 1968, St. Clement in Rosedale from 1968 to 1971 and Our Lady of Mount Carmel in Middle River from 1971 to 1975.

"She was a cheerful, curious, intelligent woman," said her niece, Mary Carole Lehukey of Glyndon. "She was a fair administrator who was popular with her students and faculty."

She also taught at the Shrine of the Little Flower in Northeast Baltimore from 1957 to 1965 and at St. Stephen in Bradshaw, where she was a remedial reading instructor and visited shut-ins before her 1998 retirement.

Born Estelle Parr in Baltimore and raised on North Caroline Street, she was a graduate of St. Paul Parochial School. She entered the Franciscan Sisters in 1933 and earned a degree in education from St. Mary's University in Emmitsburg and a master's degree from the Catholic University of America.

Services were held yesterday.

She is survived by a brother, Stanley Parr of Baltimore; a sister, Dolores P. Fisher of Baltimore; and nieces and nephews.

Anita Vitali, 85, office manager, accountant

Anita Vitali, a retired office manager and accountant, died of heart failure Jan. 30 at St. Joseph Medical Center in Towson. She was 85 and lived in Northeast Baltimore.

Before her 1986 retirement, she ran the office of CAM Construction Co. in Hunt Valley and had worked for the business for 40 years. She was previously secretary to the executive chef at Belvedere Hotel.

Family members said she enjoyed music and danced at the Alcazar Ballroom on Cathedral Street and the old Club Charles in the 1930s and 1940s. She occasionally performed as an impromptu vocalist.

"She has the courage to get up and sing with bands like Tommy Dorsey and Guy Lombardo," said a niece, Sue Chalmers of Baltimore.

She regularly attended Metropolitan Opera performances in New York, and sailed Italian Line steamships to Europe.

Born in Baltimore and raised on Battery Avenue, Anita Bazzani was a graduate of St. Mary Star of the Sea Parochial School and, in 1934, from Southern High School, where she played soccer and appeared in school plays.

Her 1953 marriage to Oresti Vitali ended in divorce.

A memorial service will be held at 10 a.m. Feb. 16 at St. Ursula Roman Catholic Church, 8801 Harford Road, where she was a member.

She is also survived by three nephews.

Howard L. Kirby, 80, postal inspector, actor

Howard L. Kirby, a retired postal inspector and actor, died of Alzheimer's disease Jan. 30 at Good Samaritan Hospital. He was 80.

The Joppa resident retired in 1984 from Baltimore's main post office on East Fayette Street, and in 1991 from his subsequent job as a security officer at Fallston General Hospital.

Mr. Kirby, who began his postal career in 1941, also had been an inspector at post offices in Middle River and Golden Ring.

Born and raised in Baltimore, he attended city public schools and later earned his GED certificate. During World War II, he served as a machinist's mate with the Navy in the Pacific theater.

Mr. Kirby acted in community theater productions, and appeared as an extra in the movies Avalon and He Said, She Said. He was a member of the Optimist Club.

He was married for many years to Audrey Stallings, who died in the 1970s.

Mr. Kirby was a member of Trinity Lutheran Church in Joppa, where he taught Sunday school and where services were held Monday.

He is survived by his wife of 23 years, the former Elisabeth Taplik; two sons, Paul E.L. Kirby of Shrewsbury, Pa., and Rodger H. Kirby of Darlington; a daughter, Deborah D. Ravenscroft of Hanover, Pa.; a stepson, Thomas M. Foley of Bel Air; a stepdaughter, Karin A. Hultstrand of Ellicott City; a brother, Raymond Kirby of Glen Burnie; a stepbrother, Walter L. Kirby of Brooklyn; nine grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

John F. Sunderland, 86, Beth Steel electrician

John F. "Pete" Sunderland, a retired Bethlehem Steel Corp. shipyard electrician, died of pneumonia Jan. 30 in Indiana, Pa. He was 86.

The former Hamilton resident retired in 1980 from Bethlehem Steel's Key Highway Shipyard, where he had been an electrician for 33 years.

After retiring, he lived in South Carolina and Florida before moving to Marion Center, Pa., last year.

Born and raised in Havana, Cuba, where he graduated from high school, Mr. Sunderland served with the Royal Air Force as a mechanic in England during World War II.

He immigrated to Baltimore and gained U.S. citizenship in 1946.

Mr. Sunderland is survived by his wife of a half-century, the former Elizabeth Bean; two daughters, Deborah Phillips of Hillsdale, Pa., and Patricia Sunderland of New York; a stepson, George Branham of Ladson, S.C.; a sister, Elizabeth Ritchie of West Palm Beach, Fla.; seven grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.

Evelyn Virginia Hughes, 84, homemaker, knitter

Evelyn Virginia Hughes, a homemaker and former Hamilton resident, died of lung cancer Friday at her son's Perry Hall home. She was 84.

Evelyn Andrew was born in Easton and raised in Federalsburg, where she graduated from high school. She moved to Towson in 1940, and during World War II worked in purchasing for Bendix Radio Corp.

In 1942, she married Robert F. Hughes, a printer who died in 1998.

Mrs. Hughes enjoyed knitting and crocheting, and was an avid reader.

Services were held Monday.

She is survived by her son, Robert Hughes; two daughters, Joan Menas of Seven Valleys, Pa., and Pamela Hughes of Carney; five grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.


Paul Leslie Greenlee: In an obituary published yesterday, an incorrect time was given for the funeral of Mr. Greenlee. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at First Baptist Church of Lansdowne, 2320 Alma Road.

The Sun regrets the error.


Lester C. Roig Jr., 78, who retired in 1984 as treasurer of CSX Railroad, died of cancer Friday at a retirement center in Peoria, Ariz., his home for 15 years.

Mr. Roig was named treasurer in 1965 of what was then the Chesapeake and Ohio and Baltimore and Ohio railroads.

Mr. Roig, who made his home in Towson and Bowie from 1963 to 1973, is survived by his wife of 54 years, the former Mildred Lent; three children; and five grandchildren.

George Nader, 80, a beefcake actor who appeared in a string of campy films including the 1953 bad-movie 3-D classic Robot Monster, died Monday at the Motion Picture Country Home, his publicist said.

Tony Curtis, who appeared with Mr. Nader in the 1955 crime drama Six Bridges to Cross, called him "one of the kindest and most generous men I've ever known."

Mr. Nader also was an author, turning to writing in the mid-1970s after an eye ailment made it difficult to act. His 1978 science-fiction novel Chrome is considered groundbreaking for its depiction of a homosexual romance. Mr. Nader was among the beneficiaries of Rock Hudson's estate after the actor died in 1985. His longtime partner, Mark Miller, was Mr. Hudson's secretary.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad