Goal in 2nd OT gives Loyola berth in NCAA round of 16


COLLEGE PARK - When Loyola's men's soccer team beat Maryland here Sept. 19, it was an upset. When the Greyhounds beat the Terrapins yesterday, it was validation.

Junior forward Juliano Adriano de Oliveira struck the game-winner in the 10th minute of the second overtime at rain-swept Ludwig Field, ending a 116-minute match and giving the 11th-ranked Greyhounds a 1-0, sudden-death victory that moved them into the NCAA tournament's round of 16 for the first time since 1993.

"There are a lot of brave, young men playing for Loyola right now," said coach Mark Mettrick, whose Greyhounds (17-1-2) haven't lost since August despite playing 15 of their 20 games on the road.

"We talk about digging deep, and I think you saw that today. ... We were tired and fatigued and it looked like Maryland was playing well, but we found a way to win. I think that's about character."

The Terrapins (10-9-1) were in control for most of regulation and dictated play through the entire first overtime and much of the second.

Midway through that second extra period, Loyola defender Mike Lynam won a ball at midfield and pressed forward with a pass to midfielder Steven Coleman.

Coleman worked a give-and-go with de Oliveira, then ripped a shot from 15 yards that Maryland goalkeeper Noah Palmer (four saves) blocked with his chest. De Oliveira got his left foot on the rebound and sent it off the right arm of the prone Palmer and into the goal.

"I knew this was going to be a 1-0 game," Maryland coach Sasho Cirovski said. "I felt like we were the team that was trying to dictate the game [throughout] the whole game. ... I really felt it was going to be a goal like that that was probably going to win the game. I was hoping it was going to be us at the other end."

Loyola's win, which came two months after the Greyhounds shut out the then-No. 12 Terrapins at Ludwig, didn't come without cost. Starting midfielder Bill Law will miss Loyola's next game for picking up a red card after the game for a kick to the head of Maryland freshman Ian Rodway.

Cirovski protested the timing of the call, saying the foul came just before the goal and play should have been stopped. The referee ruled, however, that the foul didn't occur until after the match had ended.

The Greyhounds advanced to meet Saint Louis, the tournament's sixth seed and a 2-1 winner yesterday over Missouri-Kansas City.

For Maryland, the loss ended a season in which the team slipped to 4-5-1 in its first 10 games, yet put together a 6-3 mark the rest of way to earn an NCAA tournament berth.

Goal: L - De Oliveira (unassisted). Saves: M - Palmer 4; L: Beatty 3.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad