Use Code BALT69 for a $69 Ticket to One Day University on July 9

Patricia Hudson Ford, 77, Sheppard Pratt volunteerPatricia...


Patricia Hudson Ford, 77, Sheppard Pratt volunteer

Patricia Hudson Ford, a homemaker who volunteered thousands of hours at Sheppard and Enoch Pratt Hospital, died Tuesday of heart failure at Winchester Medical Center in Virginia. She was 77 and had lived in Rodgers Forge since 1962.

Patricia Hudson was born and raised in Detroit and was a graduate of public schools there. She attended a secretarial school in Rochester, N.Y., and worked as a secretary for the War Department in Rochester during World War II.

She was married in 1945 to Phillip Ford, an insurance administrator with American Health & Life, and moved to Rodgers Forge in 1962. He died in 1985.

Mrs. Ford volunteered more than 5,000 hours in the patient library at Sheppard Pratt between 1973 and 1995.

She was a member of the Episcopal Church of the Redeemer, where a service was held Friday.

She is survived by a son, Bryan S. Ford of Rodgers Forge; a daughter, Melissa L. Coder of Stephens City, Va.; two grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.

Aleine Austin Cohen, 78, educator, historian, author

Aleine Austin Cohen, an educator and historian whose field of interest was the history of the American labor movement, died Saturday of pneumonia at the University of Southern California, San Diego Medical Center in La Jolla, Calif. She was 78.

A resident of Park Heights for 30 years, she had lived in La Jolla since 1997.

Mrs. Cohen was the author of "Mathew Lyon, 'New Man' of the Democratic Revolution," published by Penn State University Press in 1981; and "Labor," a short history of the American labor movement, which was published in 1947. She was also a contributor to the Monthly Review and the Antioch Review.

Born in Woodmere, Long Island, N.Y., Aleine Austin was the daughter of Alvin Austin, a Baltimore native and New York public relations executive who founded the Father's Day Council.

She was a graduate of Hunter College High School and earned her bachelor's degree from Antioch College in 1940. She later earned her master's and doctoral degrees in American history from Columbia University in New York.

During World War II, she served as education director of the Mississippi River Workmen's Program of the National Maritime Union, which educated shipboard workers.

After World War II, she served on the staff of the Monthly Review and taught in the early 1950s at Highlander Folk School in Tennessee, where she became acquainted with Rosa Parks and the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., students at the school. She also later taught at Western Maryland College and the University of Maryland, Baltimore County.

She was married in 1951 to Dr. Abraham Mufson, a dentist, who died in 1963. Her second husband of many years, Dr. Jonas Cohen, a Baltimore physician, died in 1993.

A graveside service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday at Salem Fields Cemetery, 775 Jamaica Ave., Brooklyn, N.Y.

Mrs. Cohen is survived by a son, Michael Mufson of Vista, Calif.; a daughter, Laurie Mufson of Mercersburg, Pa.; a sister, Jean Kaufer of Los Angeles; and two grandsons.

Albert Nicholas Tavares, 69, career infantryman

Albert Nicholas Tavares, who lived his life as a soldier, died of renal failure May 27 at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Baltimore. A career infantryman in the Army, he saw much fighting in Korea and Vietnam. He was 69.

Mr. Tavares was born in New Bedford, Mass., but moved to Baltimore at an early age so his ailing mother could be near her family. When she died five years later, his father returned with him to New Bedford, leaving his two older children behind in the care of relatives.

Mr. Tavares later dropped out of school, but attained his high school equivalency before joining the Army in 1951 and shipping out to Korea. A short time later, he suffered a partial hearing loss when a helicopter crashed near his position, killing one of his best friends.

"He saw a lot of fighting, a lot of combat, lost a lot of friends in a lot of different places during his years in the service," said his sister, Ellen T. Dutton of Baltimore. "It really affected him over the years, but he always loved the Army. It was like his second home."

Mr. Tavares later served two tours in Vietnam between stints in Germany and elsewhere in Asia before retiring in the mid-1970s as a specialist five and returning to New Bedford.

There, he mostly pursued jobs in restaurants and maintenance companies and became a fixture during tax season at City Hall, where he helped with clerical work. He was also a longtime member of American Legion Post 71 in Provincetown, Mass.

An aerospace buff, he enjoyed touring the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum on his frequent visits to his extended family in Baltimore and took flying lessons for years before military disabilities forced him from the cockpit.

Mr. Tavares also enjoyed traveling and playing board games with his nieces and nephews after he moved to Baltimore two years ago to live at the Veterans Affairs Rehabilitation and Extended Care Center.

Services will be held at 11:30 a.m. tomorrow at St. Peter Claver Catholic Church, 1526 N. Fremont Ave., followed by a burial ceremony with full military honors at Garrison Forest Veterans Cemetery, 11501 Garrison Forest Road, Owings Mills.

In addition to his sister, Mr. Tavares is survived by a brother, Frank Tavares, also of Baltimore; his stepmother, Julia F. Tavares of Hamden, Conn.; and four nieces and nephews.

John Cleggette Bentz, 89, McDonogh administrator

John Cleggette Bentz, longtime admissions director at the McDonogh School, died Thursday of cancer at his Towson home. He was 89.

Mr. Bentz, who graduated from McDonogh School and spent his entire professional life there, was admissions director from 1953 until 1977, when he retired.

He also taught business courses and coached the school's cross-country team. He began his career at the Northwest Baltimore County private school in 1930.

Mr. Bentz was born in Bluefield, W.Va., and was raised in Hagerstown. He was a 1929 graduate of McDonogh and took an additional year of study, graduating a second time in 1930.

He was an avid flower and vegetable gardener, as well as an accomplished pianist and organist.

He was an active member of the now-closed Ames United Methodist Church in Pikesville, where he was organist for many years.

In 1935, he married Nadine Quintal, who survives him.

Since 1991, he had been a member of Hunt's Memorial United Methodist Church, 1901 W. Joppa Road in Riderwood, where a memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. today.

In addition to his wife, Mr. Bentz is survived by a son, J. Stephen Bentz of East Providence, R.I.; a daughter, Stephanie Lynne Bentz of Towson; three grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

Mary Frances E. Cassel, 82, laboratory assistant

Mary Frances Eddy Cassel, a retired chemical laboratory assistant in Baltimore, died Wednesday of complications from Alzheimer's disease at her home near Oldtown, Idaho, where she moved in 1999. She was 82.

Born Mary Frances Eddy in Wilson, N.C., she moved to Baltimore as a girl. She graduated from Eastern High School in 1935 and took courses at the Johns Hopkins University. She worked as a lab assistant for many years, first for the old Bromo-Seltzer Co., then for University of Maryland Hospital. She retired at age 65.

She was married in 1946 to Roy Vernon Cassel, who died in 1969. She moved to Moses Lake, Wash., in 1986.

Mrs. Cassel attended Emmanuel Episcopal Church and enjoyed playing bridge and tennis. The family plans a memorial service this summer in Baltimore.

She is survived by two sons, David Cassel of Oldtown and Franklin Cassel of Kensington; a sister, Anne Holtzman of Philadelphia; and two granddaughters.

More obituaries, next page

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad