Capital Gazette wins special Pulitzer Prize citation for coverage of newsroom shooting that killed five

Annapolis police seek leads in fatal shooting of man, 40


Annapolis detectives continued yesterday to investigate a Memorial Day shooting at an apartment complex in Eastport that left an Annapolis man dead and two men wounded.

Authorities were looking into the possibility that the shooting was in retaliation for the beating of an informant in a homicide case, but investigators said that it was premature to speculate on a motive for the shooting at the Harbour House apartment complex off Madison Street. No suspects had been identified, police said.

Officers responding to several reports of shots fired in the area found Clarence Edward Brown, 40, of the 1400 block of Tyler Ave. dead near the Harbour House swimming pool about 9:30 p.m. He had been shot in the head, police said.

Dewayne Mason, 22, of the 1100 block of Madison St., wounded in the right shoulder, was treated at Anne Arundel Medical Center and released.

Thomas Lee Gross, 18, of Sunderland in Calvert County, who was shot in the shoulder and leg, was listed as stable yesterday at Maryland Shock Trauma Center.

Mason told police that the three were walking toward Eastport Shopping Center when he heard a man yelling and then gunshots. Police said they have a partial tag number from a dark-colored compact car that might have been used by the gunman to flee.

"We're canvassing the area in hopes someone has more information about the car," said Lt. Robert Beans.

Residents sitting under trees and on patios yesterday afternoon said they were concerned by the violence in the neighborhood.

Although police routinely patrol the area, many residents said they try to stay inside as much as possible and keep to themselves. "You have to worry when something like this happens," said Mike Watts, 46.

Monday's killing was the second in Annapolis since January. Last month, a 17-year-old was charged with murder in the killing of a 58-year-old neighbor who lived a few doors from him in Eastport Terrace. The teen-ager was placed on house arrest to allow him to finish high school.

Police said they have been pleased with community cooperation. A neighborhood watch program was started in the public housing projects several years ago, and police credit it for the number of calls they have received about suspicious activity.

"I feel the people who live there are dong an excellent job of providing information to police," Beans said. "We're getting more calls and more information about what's happening in the community."

Anyone with information about Monday's shooting is asked to call Detective William Johns at 410- 349-0217.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad